Genocide Watch exists to predict, prevent, stop, and punish genocide and other forms of mass murder. Our purpose is to build an international movement to prevent and stop genocide.
Sixteen days after the massacre on Pentecost Sunday in Nigeria, at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Ondo state, we know one thing for certain: Nigeria’s government is letting the attackers get away with it. No one has been arrested in the murders of the 40 congregants and the maiming of scores more. Despite an onslaught in which the terrorists surrounded and shot up the city church for 25 minutes, the government has failed to identify a single suspect. That fits with the general pattern of impunity for Islamists who target Nigerian Christians, and it is why there is no end to it in sight.
The Kukah Center finds that “many communities have been displaced and many farmers are unable to plant and harvest their crops. Consequently, hunger and poverty have risen, and the economy has deteriorated by the day.” In fact, thousands in southern Kaduna, a mostly Christian region, have been killed, and millions more are displaced and destitute. The jihadis can take over and even change the names of entire villages without any government response.
While no Muslim imams are reported abducted, the sultan of Sokoto was threatened by a mob for bravely criticizing the May 12 deadly bludgeoning, on a campus in Sokoto, of Christian student Deborah Yakubu, for alleged blasphemy against Islam. The police dispersed the mob setting fires around the sultan’s residence. Bishop Kukah also protested Yakubu’s murder and the fact that only two suspects were arrested, on minor charges. In response, in a viral video I viewed, an imam incited his followers, threatening: “The leader of the infidels of Sokoto state, they said he made some statements. . . . Matthew Hassan Kukah, so let him continue to do, I swear we shall kill him. . . . I swear, we shall kill you.” All diocesan Masses were then suspended following attacks that “devastated” two parishes. Nigeria’s Christian Association implored the government to protect the bishop.
The genocide of indigenous peoples, colonial genocide, or settler genocide[note 1] is elimination of entire communities of indigenous peoples as part of colonialism.[note 2] Genocide of the native population is especially likely in cases of settler colonialism, with some scholars arguing that settler colonialism is inherently genocidal.
Another historically significant example of forced labour was that of political prisoners, people from conquered or occupied countries, members of persecuted minorities, and prisoners of war, especially during the 20th century. The best-known example of this are the concentration camp system run by Nazi Germany in Europe during World War II, the Gulag camps run by the Soviet Union, and the forced labour used by the military of the Empire of Japan, especially during the Pacific War (such as the Burma Railway). Roughly 4,000,000 German POWs were used as “reparations labour” by the Allies for several years after the German surrender; this was permitted under the Third Geneva Convention provided they were accorded proper treatment. China’s laogai (“labour reform”) system and North Korea’s kwalliso camps are current examples.
About 12 million forced labourers, most of whom were Poles and Soviet citizens (Ost-Arbeiter) were employed in the German war economy inside Nazi Germany. More than 2000 German companies profited from slave labour during the Nazi era, including Daimler, Deutsche Bank, Siemens, Volkswagen, Hoechst, Dresdner Bank, Krupp, Allianz, BASF, Bayer, BMW, and Degussa. In particular, Germany’s Jewish population was subject to slave labour prior to their extermination.In Asia, according to a joint study of historians featuring Zhifen Ju, Mark Peattie, Toru Kubo, and Mitsuyoshi Himeta, more than 10 million Chinese were mobilized by the Japanese army and enslaved by the Kōa-in for slave labour in Manchukuo and north China. The U.S. Library of Congress estimates that in Java, between 4 and 10 million romusha (Japanese: “manual labourer”) were forced to work by the Japanese military. About 270,000 of these Javanese labourers were sent to other Japanese-held areas in South East Asia. Only 52,000 were repatriated to Java, meaning that there was a death rate of 80%.Kerja rodi (Heerendiensten), was the term for forced labour in Indonesia under Dutch colonial rule.The Khmer Rouge attempted to turn Cambodia into a classless society by depopulating cities and forcing the urban population (“New People”) into agricultural communes. The entire population was forced to become farmers in labour camps.
Confessions of ex-Myanmar soldiers show mass-murder orders came from the top: Bob Rae
The 2 men’s testimony will be ‘hugely important’ in upcoming trials, says Canada’s ambassador to the UN
CBC Radio · Posted: Sep 09, 2020 5:56 PM ET | Last Updated: September 9, 2020
Video testimony from two former Myanmar soldiers is “hugely important” evidence that the atrocities committed against the Rohingya people were part of a systematic campaign of genocide, says Canada’s ambassador to the United Nations.
In video clips that surfaced last week, two men who identify themselves as Zaw Naing Tun and Myo Win Tu describe being ordered to kill members of Myanmar’s Rohingya Muslim minority indiscriminately, and to bury their bodies in mass graves.
The videos were recorded by the Arakan Army, an insurgent group fighting Myanmar’s military. CBC had not independently verified the contents.
The two men are now at the The Hague in the custody of the International Criminal Court, sources told CBC News.
More than 730,000 Rohingya Muslims left Myanmar in 2017 for neighbouring Bangladesh, fleeing what they described as a military-campaign of rape and mass murder.
CHRISTIANS DELIBERATELY DRIVEN FROM THEIR HOMES IN BID TO ERADICATE CHRISTIANITY
Christians are being deliberately driven from their homes in certain regions of the world, according to Open Doors. Its new report, called ‘Church on the Run’, says that governments, armed extremist groups and in some cases even families are trying to weaken or eradicate Christian populations. It comes as new data reveals that there are around 100 million displaced people in the world, one in eighty people on earth. In Iraq, the Christian population has dwindled from over a million to around 166,000. The report describes a “deliberate strategy” to weaken, silence or completely eradicate Christian populations. Open Doors’ global gender persecution specialist, Helene Fisher, said: “Part of this deliberate strategy is to fracture religious communities. Displacement is not just a by-product of persecution, but, in many cases, it is an intentional part of a broader strategy to drive out Christianity from the community or country.”
Open Doors found that the most common agent driving displacement for Christians is their family. Family units can withhold basics for survival, such as food or shelter and can threaten their physical safety with violence or death threats when a family member converts to Christianity. Violent groups and government officials single out key figures like church leaders for persecution. Their departure can be the trigger for other Christian families in the community to move. The report also found that Christians do not leave persecution behind when they flee. In their new “homes” they can be singled out, being denied basic aid or face attack from other displaced communities. This happens whilst they are already processing severe trauma from their initial displacement.
The report highlights the long-term impact of displacement in Iraq with a local refugee saying: “Everyone is slowly leaving, It happens quietly, but it is happening every day. People pack up their things, lock their doors and leave behind their entire lives.” Rachel Morley is specific religious persecution analyst for Open Doors and she’s been speaking to Premier about the report: “We found that religion and religious identity can mean that Christian IDPs (Internally Displaced Persons) and refugees carry an extra layer of vulnerability. The thing which is most concerning from the report is that at every stage of the displacement journey, whether that be when a Christian is deciding to leave, or whether they’re in a camp or an urban setting, religious persecution can manifest at every stage or in any place.”
Morley says the systematic targeting of Christians is seen particularly starkly in countries such as Iraq and Nigeria: “In Iraq, Islamic State, especially over the past decade has resulted in many thousands of Christians being deliberately uprooted from a specific area or lands. “Another place where we see this is in northern Nigeria, where the role of multiple Islamic extremist groups have made it their goal to remove Christians from that particular area. So we see this strategy of displacements as a tool to uproot Christians from a particular area. “What we see as well is that religious persecution is part of this complex tapestry of reasons why a Christian will leave. That can be because alongside ethnic tensions, conflicts, there is instability. And we see this in places such as Myanmar, where really it’s this combination of factors, which means that there are thousands displaced both internally and in neighbouring countries.”
By now, you’ve likely seen many of your friends and family posting about conspiracy theories tied to vaccines, Bill Gates, and New World Order. If you’re anything like me you might be asking the question, “why are so many people off their rocker?”. Today, I’m going to share with you what I’ve learned about why some folks have concerns in these areas. My hope is to genuinely educate you on things that weren’t so obvious to me, that have since given me empathy and understanding for a whole group of people and causes that were otherwise not on my radar.
I’ve come to understand at least 3 major reasons people might have concerns about vaccines:
Volume of vaccines
Volume of vaccine dosages
Vaccine approval rigor
Vaccine trade-off value
Vaccine producers’ lack of financial/legal liability for vaccine injuries
Vaccine as population control
Tax dollars fund Vaccine Injury Programs
Big Pharma Profiteering
When most people hear about “anti-vaxxers” they tend to think of crazy people spewing all over the camera with their grotesque pictures of aborted babies, shouting angrily about MCR-5 and vaccine injuries. Because this is what we see, we’ve been dismissive towards the rest of the anti-vaxxer movement, who is a little more…subtle.
There are highly intelligent, well-mannered, respected, professional folks who have legitimate concerns about vaccines. But finding these people is like working through a level 100 Where’s Waldo puzzle. Where are they? And why don’t we hear from them? Two reasons: (1) they don’t want to be associated with the crazy people, and (2) if someone hears that they have any reservations about vaccines whatsoever, they immediately attack them with questions like, “people used to die from polio, do you really want that back, do you?!”. As you can imagine, that’s not a great opener for engaging any reasonably-minded person in a well-respecting debate. Effectually, it’s actually quite difficult to learn about the very legitimate concerns that do exist about vaccines, because the folks who might take the time to help you understand are too apprehensive that you might judge and condemn them.
MY LOVE OF SCIENCE, MATH AND LOGIC
I grew up knowing vaccines are good. I got my vaccines on schedule. I carried around my vaccination card like a well-earned A+ report card. I kept an eye on when certain vaccines were expiring and would promptly go get a new one at the right time.
Since I was four years old, I knew two things: I wanted to build computers and be a doctor. At the age of four, I built my first computer with my dad (and have gone on to build many computers since then). But medicine in particular always had my interest above math. I was fascinated by medicine. In high school, I went through a Health Science Academy for four years,which enabled me to get Pharmacy Tech certified and CNA certified. I learned every medical prefix and suffix in the book (literally), and even spent two years learning Latin to help me better understand medical terminology. To earn my Pharmacy Technician certification, I went through two years of courses in 11th and 12th grade, and was examined by the state of Texas. I had to learn about all classes of drugs, and also vaccines. I went through many internships, at Pharmacies, at a Maxiofacial surgeon, at a retirement care community, and in all wings of the hospital, from ER, to post-op, to NICU, ICU, etc.
I proceeded to go to premed school, and was enthralled by human biology, anatomy, medicine, and the likes. I actually made the study guides in all my classes for my peers. They’d go on to make A’s on every test for which they used my guide. After a year at premed, I actually realized this wasn’t the call God had on my life (which was quite disorienting, considering I had spent the last 5 years dedicated to premed programs, and had spent the last 16 years knowing I would be a doctor).
I pulled out of med school and found my way to Psychology, wherehe . My teachers would give me essay assignments with requirements like “minimum 13 pages and 3 references” and I was the guy who would ask “can I have 20 pages and 12 references?”. Most students were making their periods in sentences bigger as a trick to make it look like their papers were longer: I made my periods smaller to give myself more room to write. One day, I opened literally every paper relevant to my research on the Ebsco research database in a tab on Chrome. I read every one of those research papers.
In my statistics class, our teacher gave us the ability to use an Excel Spreadsheet to solve for the really challenging problems, but I preferred paper and pen, because I knew the answer would be 100% accurate if I worked it out myself and relied on pure math to find the right answer.
I ended up also with a minor in Biblical Studies, with a focus on exegetical Biblical text. I’d spent countless hours reading the Hebrew and Greek origins of words, pouring over the historical context so that I could draw the historical bridge, and would eventually map everything together to illustrate the connectedness of it all.
And today, I lead an engineering team of 35 people distributed in at least 12 countries. I’m the top-level director, responsible for estimating projects from $300k-$2M in size, ranging 3mo to 18mo in duration, and for teams ranging in size from 5-20 people. Our margins are razor thin, so if my projections are off by the slightest, our company could be devastated. Instead, in the last four years we’ve quadrupled revenue, increasing our team size from 15 to 70 people. The growth has been massive. But we’ve stayed profitable and debt free because of our attention to detail, the thoroughness of our research, and the follow through on commitment, of which I’m chiefly responsible.
For the free time I have outside of managing my team, I spend much of my time in spreadsheets creating forecasting models, and also doing research on emerging technology. On average, I’ve learned one new computer language every 3 months the last 6 years (when I had gotten my start in engineering, I had learned 6 languages in just two weeks).
The point I’m trying to make is that I am a research, math and science guy if you’ve ever met one. I trust in facts, not hypotheses; evidence, not narratives; logic, not feelings. If it weren’t for my faith in Jesus Christ, my faith would be wholly in math, science and logic. Thankfully, God had room for me in His family. My love of God, and faith in Him, however, doesn’t change anything about my love and appreciation for math and science. That’s who God made me at the core. I believe in the rigor of research, the reliability of math, and the soundness of logic and reason. Knowing God has simply positioned my trust in Him before human reason, and above reason when in conflict. But if it weren’t for God’s grace over me, you’d probably think I was Spock’s offspring or worse, even his father.
On My knee-jerk reaction was that these people were loonies. I did some research at the time, and was able to verify their claims that some vaccines had aborted baby tissue in them. That made me sick, and certainly made me for the first time ask the question, “what’s in vaccines?”. I had never asked that before. Not once. I just knew they were good. I researched a little more, wrestled with the topic of vaccines, and ended up deciding that when I had kids I’d look more into it with an open mind — but that by and large, most vaccines are still good.
That was a decade ago. The last few months, I began researching vaccines again. This time around, I’ve applied the same level of rigor that I’ve always applied to research, math, science, logic and reason. I’ve spent at least 100 hours in the last 1-2 months, and quite honestly, I’m just now starting to scratch the surface. There’s so much that I don’t yet know, so many sources and references I haven’t stored that I need to go back and save, and so much that I have yet to validate or invalidate.
But, from what I’ve learned so far, I’m convinced thatwe should at minimum be asking questions about vaccines. I’ve written my bonafides above so that you know in full faith and confidence, that I’m likely the most skeptical person you will meet when it comes to changing my opinion, especially on something as central as vaccines, for which in the last 26 years I have accepted as right and true without question. I’m a hardcore “INTJ” personality type: known for being unwilling to change, for always thinking I’m right, and for being out of touch with feeling and emotion. While God has tempered me with grace to love and care for those around me, my affinity for being persuaded by anything less than logic and reason (outside of faith) is exactly zero.
Below, I’ll share a high-level overview about why we should be concerned about some vaccines, and why,we should be engaged with our government to ensure that our kids and grandkids won’t grow up in a world where the government mandates vaccine injections. I’ll keep each of these relatively short and include resources below if you want to dig in to learn more.
A. HEALTH CONCERNS
1. VOLUME OF VACCINES
When I was born (1988), the recommended vaccine schedule included four vaccines:
Diphtheria, tetanus, & acellular pertussis
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
Haemophilus influenzae type b
Today, the vaccine schedule has tripled to fifteen vaccines:
Diphtheria, tetanus, & acellular pertussis
Haemophilus influenzae type b
Influenza (IIV) / Influenza (LAIV)
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
Tetanus, diphtheria, & acellular pertussis
2. VOLUME OF VACCINE DOSAGES
When I was born,the number of vaccine dosages was 15.
The number of vaccine dosages has tripled to 44.
3. VACCINE SCHEDULES
When I was born, the schedule for when to administer vaccines was less aggressive. The CDC at the time did not have an official schedule for when to administer the doses based on age of the baby. That changed in 1995.
Today, the vaccine schedule recommends 27 doses of vaccines prior to the age of 15mo, with 17 of those prior to 6mo old.
4. COMBINATION VACCINES
Some vaccines have been combined in high concentration doses. For example, Measles, Mumps and Rubella each had their own vaccine available. In the 70s-80s, these vaccines were combined into one highly concentrated vaccine, referred to as MMR. Many are concerned about injecting this high concentration of vaccine all at once into small, developing babies. Vaccine producers have taken the individual vaccines off the market and only offer the combination vaccine.
In my personal research, I’ve seen an overwhelming number of stories of people’s babies who are otherwise healthy, engaged, and developing, but experience immediate seizure and disengagement upon receiving the MMR vaccine, resulting in autism. Similarly, there are an overwhelming number of people who have been paralyzed after receiving the Human papillomavirus vaccine. These are referred to as Vaccine Injuries, and these aren’t the only two vaccines that cause them.It’s challenging for parents with infants to prove that a vaccine caused an injury, because lawyers will often make the case that there’s no way to know that the vaccine caused autism since the baby is so young and still developing. I’ve scoured the web looking at many before and after narratives, with videos and pictures to boot, and there’s ample evidence that there is in fact a sudden and massive change in other-wise happy babies.
If that’s not enough though, given the Human papillomavirus vaccine is administered around 11-12 years old (or even as young as 9), it’s much more challenging for lawyers to make the case that an otherwise healthy 15 year old who became paralyzed after taking the vaccine wasn’t the cause of the vaccine. Here’s what’s most disturbing about the vaccines for HPV: the virus is only transmitted via sex, and especially via anal sex. The CDC recommends administering this vaccine automatically to all women — I should say, “adolescent girls” — between the ages of 11-12, and even as young as 9. Further, the virus is found in most cases to go away on it’s own, it’s rare that it results in the deadly condition of Cervical Cancer. On their page for the HPV Vaccine, the CDC sites that 12,000 women are diagnosedwith Cervical Cancer each year — but HPV isn’t the only cause of Cervical Cancer, it’s one of many.How many cases were a result of HPV? Even still, the number is massively low: 12,000 cases and 4,000 deaths. But, they recommend every young girl in America receive the vaccine — and there are many stories of parents whose daughters contracted Guillain-Barre Syndrome within 2 weeks of being vaccinated for HPV specifically with Gardasil. Gardasil happens to be the only vaccine available for HPV. At least three states (Rhode Island, Virginia, and District of Columbia) have passed legislation mandating children be vaccinated with Gardasil by 7th grade. Many more states have put forward legislation.Gardasil is one of the darling vaccines in the Merck Co. inventory, and in 2018 alone generated $3,000,000,000+ ($3B ) in revenue.
There’s such a high number of people who report vaccine injuries, that in 1988, the federal government and CDC stood up the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program to deal with the mass number of cases reported. The Compensation Program offers payment only with a ‘no fault’ stipulation, as a means to silence people who have experienced vaccine injuries.Since 1988, $4,027,385,399.60 ($4B) has been disbursed to vaccine injury claims and another$216,791,324.93 ($200M) paid to legal fees for the United States Government providing lawyers to defend against these claims on behalf of vaccine producers.
In this post, I’m not going deep into theVaccine Injury data, although it’s quite voluminous. Instead, I thought I’d simply highlight that there’s been a very recent and rapid spike in the volume of vaccines, doses and acceleration of schedules, coupled with massive amount of injury claims being paid out to individuals. That’s enough to make me go, “hmm…”. If you are interested in stories from people who have experienced Vaccine Injury, check out the movie Vaxxed and Vaxxed 2.If it’s all just rubbish, it’ll be a good laugh for you. If it’s not, perhaps you’ll something.
Aborted baby fetal tissue samples from two babies (tissues referred to as MRC-5 and WI-38) are used in the production of at least four widely distributed vaccines (name of the vaccine manufactures who use the aborted fetal tissue referenced next to the vaccine name). Many object morally to using aborted baby tissue in vaccines. Some of these vaccines are mandated, which presents special challenges for those who morally object:
Hepatitis A vaccines [VAQTA/Merck, Havrix/GlaxoSmithKline, and part of Twinrix/GlaxoSmithKline]
Rubella vaccine [MERUVAX II/Merck, part of MMR II/Merck, and ProQuad/Merck]
Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine [Varivax/Merck, and part of ProQuad/Merck]
Zoster (shingles) vaccine [Zostavax/Merck]
These are just the vaccines produced through these two widely known strains of aborted fetal tissue. There are many more tissues from other aborted babies that are also used in widely administered vaccines (you can do your own googling on these!).
2. VACCINE APPROVAL RIGOR
Vaccines don’t go through the same rigor of testing that pharmaceutical drugs approved by the FDA go through.Specifically, vaccines don’t necessarily go through placebo studies.This means that when a new vaccine comes out, or if it’s been out for 50 years, scientists refuse to test the efficacy of the vaccine against the natural immunity of individuals’ who do not have the vaccine (nor of the side effect comparisons). Because of this, it is nearly impossible to link vaccine injuries to vaccines, because researchers refuse to test against placebos. So, when a new vaccine comes out, if there’s an increase in autism because of the vaccine, you wouldn’t know that necessarily because everyone would have received the vaccine, so it looks like the entire population just had an uptick in autism (for other nefarious reasons). This makes it nearly impossible to hold accountable any vaccine producer against the side effects and injuries their vaccines produce. It also makes it harder to trust the vaccines.
These scientists cite the reason for their objection to placebo studies as it being “unethical” to not give their wonderful mana-from-heaven vaccine to the children of the world. After all, their vaccine saves lives. So, we should just trust that the vaccine saves lives and not question the integrity of their work. After all, they are scientists. Scientists never make mistakes.
Some have challenged scientists on this notion, in that there are many parents who would be willing to not give a vaccine to their children, because they specifically do not want the vaccine. The objection from scientists in this case is that the parents are pre-disposed to a bias, and they cannot trust the results of the test because the parent will add confirmation bias to the results.
3. VACCINE TRADEOFF VALUE
The diseases that many of the newer vaccines on the vaccine schedule treat are low in number of affected cases and mortality rate.For example, there’s a few vaccines that treat diseases that might affect 50,000 of the population in the United States (of 323M) with less than 200 deaths. Does it really make sense to vaccinate 323M people for something that is this rare? As we see the vaccine schedule growing so large, you have to wonder if at some point if it’s worth the risk of all those chemicals in our body to protect ourselves against infections and diseases for which we have an incredibly low chance of getting, and even lower chance of dying from.
4. VACCINE MANDATES
Vaccines have become increasingly mandated by state and local governments. In most states, a child cannot attend public and many private schools without providing evidence that they have received the minimum required vaccines. In many states, a parent not providing vaccines can be constituted as Medical Neglect meaning that a parent can lose rights to their children and even be fined and serve jail time for choosing to not vaccinate their children.
5. VACCINE PRODUCERS’ LACK OF FINANCIAL/LEGAL LIABILITY FOR VACCINE INJURIES
Earlier, I mentioned theVaccine Injury Compensation Program established in 1988. Interestingly, this program offers 100% protection to Vaccine producers from any lawsuits from vaccine injuries (including mandated vaccines),and instead,holds the United States government liable financially but not criminally for any injury (thus, no one can be held criminally liable for vaccine injuries). I mentioned earlier that this is a “no fault” program, meaning those who file must maintain the explicit understanding and make clear that they do not hold the Vaccine producers at fault for their claim of injury (this is the only way they could be eligible to receive financial recompense — and of course, if a vaccine really did cause autism, it’s highly likely they would be dependent on the financial recompense to help offset the challenge of raising an autistic child).
The logic for absolving vaccine producers from having any culpability whatsoever is that in the 80s, there were so many people filing suits against vaccine companies, that these vaccine producers were getting buried in legal fees and payouts. They couldn’t afford to stay in business, producing more (questionable) vaccines, with all the claims of injuries. The United States decided to bail them out permanently — offering amnesty, hall pass, whatever you want to call it — so that they never have to face the consequence of any of their actions. Margaret Sanger published “My Way To Peace”a pretty dangerous recipe for mistakes. We’ve removed accountability on both book-ends of the process (pre-release-testing and post-administration-audits).
6. VACCINE AS POPULATION CONTROL
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is now the #1 Contributor to the WHO (was second to the United States until Trump pulled back funding this year). In addition, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has invested $11B in philanthropic efforts, with most of that going towards vaccine production, and a large chunk of that focused on vaccine production in Africa and Southeast Asia.
Massive research has been performed by the WHO on human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) vaccines (informally known as sterilization vaccines). Researchers have discovered hCG presence in vaccines administered to people in developing countries (specifically, on tetanus vaccines). More concerning, women have been found to have been sterilized through the administration of vaccines (like the tetanus vaccine) in those developing countries.
Some researchers and philanthropologists (especially Bill Gates) have theorized that CO2 emmissions from people is one of the most damaging contributors to Climate Change, and have set out on a mission to solve the problem. Most notably, these researchers (led by Bill Gates and the WHO) have deemed Africa and Southeast Asia as the most responsible countries for contributing to overpopulation by 2050 (and thus, climate change), and have committed to reducing the population curve in these countries — specifically through contraceptive “options”.
In 2010, Bill Gates led a TED talk describing the relationship between increased health, vaccines and decreased population. Years later, he clarified his intention in this relationship, describing that he believes when people are healthier they’ll choose to have less kids.
Then, in 2015, Bill Gates hosted a convention in Berlin, Germany with worldwide leaders (funders, academia, regulatory agencies, non-governmental organizations, vaccine manufacturers, and Ministries of Health from Africa and Asia) focused on increasing vaccine administration in developing countries, specifically Southeast Asia and Africa. The convention was explicitly focused on maternal immunization (MI) against influenza, pertussis, and tetanus. In lay-mens terms, the convention was focused on how to administer influenza, pertussis and tetanus vaccines to pregnant women in Southeast Asia and Africa. The convention cited that the #1 challenge to administering the vaccine to these pregnant women was in fact resistance and objection by those pregnant women. The convention goes on to demonstrate that not enough evidence is yet available to demonstrate the efficacy or safety of the MI program, but after they administer to enough women and collect evidence (hopefully supporting their hypotheses), they will be able to use this evidence to generate greater demand from more individuals in those regions. To offset the challenge of overcoming objection from the pregnant women, the convention leaders asserted that they will need to leverage family members, tribal elders and religious leaders to critically influence community acceptance for the MI program to not just the pregnant women, but the entire community.
This isn’t the first time Bill Gates has heard of this technique of leveraging a woman’s community to propagate acceptance of immunization. Bill Gates’ father, Bill Gates Senior, served on local and national boards for Planned Parenthood leading up to Roe v. Wade. Many attribute his efforts and advocacy within Planned Parenthood as a boon for the pro-choice “victory” out of Roe v. Wade. When asked how he came to be passionate about reproductive issues as a philanthropic effort, Bill Gates references the efforts of his mom and dad, and specifically referenced the work they did in Planned Parenthood leading up to Roe v. Wade. Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood,wrote a letter in 1939 to Clarence Gambel stating the following,“The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal…We don’t want the word to get out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.”So the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, 76 years later, takes a pretty similar approach in Africa for the MI program,using tetanus, which has been known to be a a disguised carrier for hCG sterilization.
But this isn’t the only thing concerning about Bill Gates’ ties to Planned Parenthood. Margaret Sanger started Planned Parenthood a few different times under different names, and even retreated to Germany in the midst of WWII for safe haven from the United States government for her practicing of eugenics on African Americans. Specifically, her goal was to limit population and reproduction of African Americans. The third time she started the organization, it was thus named Planned Parenthood. And her legacy lives today.79% of all Planned Parenthood facilities are within walking distance of African American communities. According to a study by the CDC in 2015, since 1969, Black women have the highest abortion rate of any other race, consisting of 36% of all abortions in the United States (African American population is ~12%). Let me say that another way: 12% of the population is responsible for 36% of all abortions.
In 1932, Margaret Sangerpublished “My Way To Peace”, postulatingtoCongress to “direct and control the population through Birth rates and immigration”.
Three of her main objectives were as follows:
(d) apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization, and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is already tainted or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring.
(e) to insure the country against future burdens of maintenance for numerous offspring as may be born of feeble-minded parents,the government would pension all persons with transmissible disease who voluntarily consent to sterilization.
(f) thewhole dysgenic population would have its choice of segregation or sterilization.
Margaret Sangerpublished “My Way To Peace”
That Bill Gates derives his philanthropic loins from his father’s service in Planned Parenthood, during which time he helped Planned Parenthood win Roe v Wade, which has effectively resulted in ~62M abortions, 19M of which from African Americans — and that Bill Gates has invested $11B towards producing vaccines in Africa and Southeast Asia for the purpose of population control, and that he would focus on using the tetanus shot as one of three primary vaccines (which has been proven in developing countries to contain hCG sterilization) in specifically African pregnant women — is highly questionable and concerning.
People ask me: “why do you share this kind of knowledge” and I’ll tell you why. If there’s the smallest chance that there exists a man who is intentionally sterilizing women in developing countries against their knowledge and will, I believe we should fight against such an oppressor in prayer and otherwise. I believe that falls in the category of James 1:27, to fight for widows and orphans — to fight for the least of these.
The United States has paid out $4B in vaccine injury claims and $200M in legal fees since 1988 on behalf of vaccine producers. Where does Uncle Sam get his money? Taxpayers, not vaccine producers, pay the price for vaccine injuries.
2. BIG PHARMA PROFITEERING
Meanwhile, vaccine manufactures are on schedule to earn $60,000,000,000 ($60B) in 2020 alone. Since they aren’t bogged down with dealing with pesky lawsuits, they can focus on generating more vaccines to add to the schedule.
Let’s take a quick look at how Coronavirus has affected stocks for seven of the biggest Vaccine producers.
Three of the biggest 10 vaccine producers are Novavax, Inovio, and Vir Biotechnology. Since Coronavirus, these three companies’ stock has skyrocketed:
Wow! If you look closely, you’ll see these companies experience a massive spike in growth around January-March. It’s quite natural that we would see vaccine stock markets increase due to COVID. But what’s interesting is not all vaccine company stock markets experienced this spike. In fact, these three are the outliers. What do these three share in common?They are all backed by Bill Gatesfor a collective $244M.
Here’s what the stocks look like for the #1, #2, #3 and #4 revenue producing vaccine producers:
The common thread we see here is a big dip. None of them expected Coronavirus, they all experienced massive disruption in their business and are now recovering.Why did they experience a dip? Logically: people stopped going to hospitals to get their regular vaccines and sales plummeted overnight.
If you look at the stock for the firms Bill Gates has heavily invested in, you see the inverse: there’s actually a spike. As if they were ready for Coronavirus to hit. Why is this?
Speaking of, Bill Gates in 2015 predicted this pandemic, nearly to the tee: A flu-based pandemic by around 2020 flu-based pandemic, of the weight and gravity of the 1918 Spanish Flu. He’s been leveraging this prediction to convince people of the need for a worldwide vaccine. He’s specifically been at work to ensure vaccine distribution is ready to go in Africa and Southeast Asia. We also see a massive acceleration in his financial investments in vaccine organizations starting in 2015. This overlaps well with the Berlin convention in 2015 where he asserted the biggest challenge with vaccinating pregnant women is their objection to being vaccinated.
Be on the lookout for any research that suggests pregnant women are especially at risk of Coronavirus, it wouldn’t surprise me if the CDC and WHO recommend a pregnancy specific vaccines for Cornavirus in the next year. It wouldn’t surprise me if Bill Gates graciously offers to donate another $10B to getting this vaccine to Africa and Southeast Asia.
He sure is great at predicting the future — and many still believe his intentions are pure. What do you think?
Vaccines wouldn’t be a concern of mine if they weren’t mandatory in the United States and if they weren’t seemingly being used to propitiate sterilization of ethnic groups in developing countries.
I’d like to reiterate one thing in all of this: this is just scratching the surface. The amount of data I’ve combed through, the evidence, hours-and-hours of testimony from individuals — it’s overwhelming. I’ve included only references in here which are either neutral or pro-vaccine. I’ve specifically not included references to data in here that is clearly anti-vaccine. I’ve done this on purpose so that you may look at the data that is skewed in favor of pro-vaccines and make a determination for yourself if you have any concerns based on the best case scenarios.
Personally, in reviewing the data, I’m alarmed by the interconnectedness of what we are seeing. Coupled with the increased censorship from Facebook, the WHO, the CDC and Google, who all appear to be in lock-step, it’s hard to know what to do with all of this information. I’ve often debated internally: “should I just be silent about this?” and “of what value does this provide?”
But, I’m continually convicted of the following nine beliefs, and I cannot shake these nor be silent:
I’m concerned by the harmfulness of many vaccines
I’m concerned by the lack of good science behind testing vaccines
I’m concerned by the lack of accountability beholden to vaccine producers
I’m concerned by any group of people who would attempt to sterilize any person or group of peoples
I’m increasingly concerned by the calls for a worldwide vaccine, especially one that is mandated
I feel morally compelled to share these convictions with others, so they themselves can decide if they want to subject themselves and their families to vaccines
I feel morally compelled to pray often for our government leaders to be surrounded by God-fearing, righteous men and women, and to be removed from the sphere of influence of anyone who does not daily submit themselves before the Lord
I feel civilly compelled to figure out how to create awareness in our communities so that we can elect officials who are committed to tackling these concerns, and also advocate to already elected officials to do something about it; and to not just stop in our own communities, but to change our laws so that we are better able to hold accountable vaccine producers — and keep big money out of influencing what we do with vaccines, and how we do it
I feel morally obligated to figure out what my role is in helping prevent the oppression of widows and orphans in developing countries from rich and powerful men who have clearly stated their objective to reduce population in those developing countries
To be clear, I have no quarrel with anyone who is pro-vaccine. In fact, when produced with upmost ethical standards, it’s quite sensible to me that people would be highly interested in vaccines. However, I also seek to preserve independent medical freedom for individuals to weigh both the science and the testimonies of those who have had vaccines — and to decide what the best course of action is for them and their families. On a personal level, I feel responsible for the safety of my own family.
One indication that the government is not in tune with safe vaccine protocols is that they still maintain a “no fault” policy on vaccines, and refer only to vaccine “allergic reactions” without acknowledging the many diseases, illnesses and deaths they do clearly cause. Despite this, it’s clear to me that there are people out there who think it best for the government to decide what is safest — that we as individuals should not maintain that freedom. I am unequivocally against these people and will oppose them at every measure
Kakistocracy: noun, government by the worst persons; a form of government in which the worst persons are in power.
The old saying goes that even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. So you might think that during a 50-year political career, the odds would dictate that Joe Biden would, once in a blue moon, make a correct decision — just based on the odds. But you’d be mistaken. Biden has stumbled and bumbled from one disastrous decision to the next. Disastrous, that is, for America. Biden himself has prospered handsomely in spite of his glaring incompetence and corruption.
Biden’s long Senate career was based on being the credit card companies’ man in Washington. While crowing endlessly about the working class being “his people,” Biden sponsored bills allowing bank issuers to charge egregious interest rates and to make it harder for working men to escape the credit trap through bankruptcy.
When Biden chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee, he turned the confirmation of Clarence Thomas into a political smear campaign that descended into a degenerate three-ring circus. In his first campaign for president, he failed to garner a single percentage point before having to withdraw when confronted with his past lies and blatant plagiarism. He literally stole a speech detailing a British politician’s life story. He ran again in 2008 but again failed to reach even one percent of the vote.
By the time he ran for president again in 2020 he was a spent husk of his former corrupt and incompetent self, delivering asinine performances in the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary. When the Democrat establishment propped him up to once again stop Bernie Sanders, Biden was set up for the strangest presidential campaign in modern history. While Donald Trump barnstormed the nation with packed, enthusiastic rallies, Biden cowered in his basement, occasionally venturing out to speak with a few dozen voters sitting in circles drawn on the floor.
For his vice presidential pick, he chose — if you can believe it — an even more buffoonish candidate than himself.
Had it not been for Mark Zuckerberg buying and staffing government election offices in swing states, and the media and Big Tech’s censorship of the Biden family’s corruption, Biden would now be enjoying his dotage in Delaware, creeping on unsuspecting children with yarns of Corn Pop and South African arrests.
Instead, the man with one of the most astonishing records of abject failure in Washington was installed in the White House, and he has remained true to form. As one of a hundred senators and then as vice president, there was a limit to how much damage he could do. But as president, the shackles have been removed.
His first agenda item was to throttle our oil and gas sector, offshoring tens of thousands of good paying jobs to Russia and the Middle East — along with our energy independence. He threw open our southern border and encouraged virtually unlimited illegal immigration — during a global pandemic.
Biden’s “defund the police” rhetoric delivered us soaring violent crime in Democrat-run cities, while he sicced federal law enforcement on parents who object too strenuously to their children being indoctrinated with anti-White racism and LGBTQIA+ ideology.
It can truly be said that as president, Biden’s record of failure remains unblemished.
But now comes what may be the capstone on Biden’s long history of buffoonery and corruption. In Ukraine, we have an armed conflict that threatens to plunge the world into an economic depression and raises the specter of nuclear war. Not only did Biden set the stage for this calamity when, as vice president, he was in charge of Ukraine policy and led Kiev to believe that NATO membership was in Ukraine’s future, but on the eve of the Russian invasion, he refused to admit that it was not. Then Biden all but admitted to Vladimir Putin — on live TV, no less — that NATO would not defend Ukraine if Russia chose to invade.
In the aftermath of Russia’s invasion, Biden and his administration have crafted sanctions that seem almost designed to boomerang on America’s and Europe’s fragile post-pandemic economies, while forcing Russia into a deeper alliance with China.
With the U.S. over $31 trillion in debt, Biden seems totally oblivious to the perilous position of the U.S. dollar as the world’s reserve currency and the consequences should that privileged position end.
Economists predict that food and gasoline will cost the average U.S. household an additional $3,000 this year, and inflation threatens to push millions of lower-middle income-earners into abject poverty.
And bumbling, corrupt Joe Biden isn’t yet halfway through his first — and please God, last — term.
(Natural News) During a recent appearance on Steve Bannon’s “War Room: Pandemic” program, Dr. Naomi Wolffired a shotagainst those who perpetrated the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19)plandemic, accusing them of conspiring to commit mass murder.
Wolf named Tony Fauci from theNational Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases(NIAID), Rochelle Walensky from theCenters for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), and Francis Collins of theNational Institutes of Health(NIH) as co-conspirators in the genocide campaign.
“What is the crime of murder? And it’s different state by state, but, you know conspiracy to commit murder is pretty loosely defined in California penal code 182, for instance,” Wolf told Bannon. “And now that we’ve seen the Pfizer documents, there are nine pages of harms, all the adverse effects.”
“The fact that people like Rochelle Walensky, Dr. Fauci, Dr. Collins – all the ‘influencers’ who were paid, as we now know, said ‘safe and effective,’ this needs criminal charges. This could be conspiracy to murder. And members of the media could also be accessories to murder.”
Be sure to watch the below clip of Wolf speaking:
Dr. Naomi Wolf: “This Could Be Conspiracy for Murder”
“The fact that people like Rochelle Wolensky, Dr. Fauci, Dr. Collins… said ‘safe and effective.’ This is criminal charges. This could be conspiracy for murder, and [E. Dowd] said the media could be accessories to murder.”pic.twitter.com/zLX1a5rypF
Everyplandemiccriminal deserves swift and merciless punishment for their crimes against humanity
These are some pretty big words, though Wolf failed to mention Donald Trump, whosigned the PREP Actand launched Operation Warp Speed, which has injured and killed millions.
At least she is drawing attention to the need for justice, though, and perhaps eventually the whole thing will unravel exposing all of the vermin involved with this mass depopulation campaign.
Even if Fauci, for instance, is suddenly out of the news cycle, people have not forgotten what this decrepit Josef Mengele wannabe did to the world, terrorizing it for two years with mask and “vaccine” mandates.
Back in January, Wolfspoke outagainst Fauci and the others, accusing them of “premeditated manslaughter” against “millions of people.”
Keep in mind that Wolf used to advise Bill Clinton, which makes her an unlikely candidate to be saying these types of things, especially publicly.
“The fact that Dr. Fauci grossly perjured himself is hugely apparent,” Wolf said at the time about how Fauci repeatedly lied before Congress about gain of function research and other things.
“It is the least of the crimes if indeed these are verified documents. I can’t overstate this. This is a premeditated kind of manslaughter of millions of people coordinated at the highest levels according to these documents. Treatments that would have saved lives were intentionally or reportedly intentionally suppressed.”
Apparently this was not just rhetoric for Wolf, who has continued to press forward in the pursuit of justice against all involved with pushingplandemictyranny and mass genocide on not just Americans but most of the world.
“Everyone involved in pushing these injections should be charged with manslaughter at the very least,” wrote someone on Twitter. “But as they already knew they were highly toxic and lethal, murder is the correct charge.”
“There has been a lot of bad that has happened because Trump didn’t confiscate the Dominion Voting machines and force the DOJ to do its job and prosecute the massive election fraud,” pointed out someone elseatCitizen Free Press about how Trump’s failures, whether they were deliberate or not, paved the way for all of this to happen under his watch.
Big Tech Censored Dozens of Doctors, More Than 800 Accounts for COVID-19 ‘Misinformation,’ Study Finds
Ailan Evans / @AilanHEvans / February 09, 2022
Twitter, Google, Google+, Gmail, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat are among the platforms arrayed on the screen of an Apple iPhone. Many of them have used their largely unregulated power to censor information they don’t approve of as “misinformation.” (Photo: Chesnot/Getty Images)
Major technology companies and social media platforms have removed, suppressed or flagged the accounts of more than 800 prominent individuals and organizations, including medical doctors, for COVID-19 “misinformation,” according to a new study from the Media Research Center.
The study focused on acts of censorship on major social media platforms and online services, including Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Ads, and TikTok.
Instances of censorship included Facebook’s decision to flag the British Medical Journal with a “fact check” and “missing context” label, reducing the visibility of a post, for a study delving into data-integrity issues with a Pfizer vaccine clinical trial.
Facebook also deleted the page of the Great Barrington Declaration, an open letter led by dozens of medical professionals, including Dr. Jay Battacharya, a Stanford epidemiologist, and Dr. Martin Kulldorff, a former employee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which advocated for less restrictive measures to address the dangers of COVID-19.
“Big Tech set up a system where you can’t disagree with ‘the science’ even though that’s the foundation of the scientific method,” Dan Gainor, MRC vice president of Free Speech America, told the Daily Caller National Foundation. “If doctors and academic journals can’t debate publicly, then it’s not science at all. It’s ‘religion.’”
Big Tech also scrubbed podcast host Joe Rogan’s interviews with scientists Dr. Peter McCullough and Dr. Robert Malone, the latter of whom was instrumental in pioneering mRNA technology. Twitter banned Malone from its platform permanently in late December over the virologist’s tweets questioning the efficacy and safety of the COVID-19 vaccine.
“We tallied 32 different doctors who were censored, including mRNA vaccine innovator Dr. Robert Malone,” Gainor said. “Censoring views of credentialed experts doesn’t ensure confidence in vaccines. It undermines faith in government COVID-19 strategies.“
In addition to medical doctors, the study examined instances in which members of Congress were censored by tech platforms.
These included an incident last August in which YouTube suspended Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., for posting a video arguing that “cloth masks” are not effective against the coronavirus, a view later echoed by many prominent medical commentators. Twitter also flagged a tweet from Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., in which he wrote “studies show those with natural immunity from a prior infection are much less likely to contract and spread COVID than those who only have vaccine-induced immunity.”
The study also examined Big Tech censorship of prominent media personalities, such as Rogan, Tucker Carlson, and Dan Bongino.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of this original content, contact email@example.com.
Have an opinion about this article? To sound off, please email letters@DailySignal.com and we’ll consider publishing your edited remarks in our regular “We Hear You” feature. Remember to include the url or headline of the article plus your name and town and/or state.
Want to keep up with the 24/7 news cycle? Want to know the most important stories of the day for conservatives? Need news you can trust? Subscribe to The Daily Signal’s email newsletter. Learn more >>
The National Institutes of Health edited a section of its website explaining gain-of-function research this month as scrutiny over the research the NIH funded in Wuhan, China intensified.
The original page, seen on the Wayback Machine, displays several sections including Potential Pandemic Pathogens, Gain-of-Function Research, U.S. Government Funding Pause, HHS P3CO Framework, Research Within P3CO Scope, Research Outside P3CO Scope, and a Timeline.
The Gain-of-Function section stated:
The term gain-of-function (GOF) research describes a type of research that modifies a biological agent so that it confers new or enhanced activity to that agent. Some scientists use the term broadly to refer to any such modification. However, not all research described as GOF entails the same level of risk. For example, research that involves the modification of bacteria to allow production of human insulin, or the altering of the genetic program of immune cells in CAR-T cell therapy to treat cancer generally would be considered low risk. The subset of GOF research that is anticipated to enhance the transmissibility and/or virulence of potential pandemic pathogens, which are likely to make them more dangerous to humans, has been the subject of substantial scrutiny and deliberation. Such GOF approaches can sometimes be justified in laboratories with appropriate biosafety and biosecurity controls to help us understand the fundamental nature of human-pathogen interactions, assess the pandemic potential of emerging infectious agents, and inform public health and preparedness efforts, including surveillance and the development of vaccines and medical countermeasures. This research poses biosafety and biosecurity risks, and these risks must be carefully managed. When supported with NIH funds, this subset of GOF research may only be conducted in laboratories with stringent oversight and appropriate biosafety and biosecurity controls(link is external) to help protect researchers from infection and prevent the release of microorganisms into the environment. (NIH)
Now the page lists only Potential Pandemic Pathogens, ePPP Research, and Oversight.
The edits come as Sen. Rand Paul is calling for Dr. Anthony Fauci to resign for lying about gain-of-function research.
“He should be fired,” Paul told “Axios on HBO” in an interview that aired Sunday.
“The thing is, is just for lack of judgment of nothing else, and I, you know, he’s probably never going to admit that he lied, he’s going to continue to dissemble and try to work around the truth and massage the truth,” he added.
While Paul has been making this case for awhile, the sentiments were renewed after Lawrence Tabak, the principal deputy director at the NIH, revealed new details in a letter about an NIH grant to EcoHealth Alliance, which conducted research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
The Dark Winter exercise, held in 2001, portrayed a fictional scenario depicting a covert smallpox attack on American citizens
Major fault lines found between different levels of government, between government and the private sector, among different institutions and agencies, and within the public and private sector
‘No surge capability in the U.S. healthcare and public health systems, or in the pharmaceutical and vaccine industries’
New Delhi:In 2001, the United States conducted a high-level bio-terrorist attack simulation to ascertain how senior leadership would respond to such an attack apart from examining the national security, intergovernmental, and information challenges of a biological attack on the American soil.
For a moment, let’s use our imaginations and replace a few names in this exercise briefing.
Oklahoma with New York,
Russia with China
Governor Keating with Governor Cuomo
Vectors in Russia with Wuhan in China
You get the idea.
👇 Is the link to the script online in .pdf format that is incidentally referenced by John Hopkin. It may be easier to read from there. I intentionally left out a few pictures, etc because the we’re not necessarily important to my point.
In their roles as National Security Council (NSC) members responding to the smallpox crisis, exercise participants were given information about unfolding events in four important ways: briefings, memos, newspaper summaries, and video news clips.
• Each of the three segments began with briefings delivered to the NSC meeting by exercise controllers playing the roles of deputies or special assistants. Subsequent briefings in each segment provided NSC “players” with possible policy options for consideration.
• Throughout the exercise, individual participants were given memos on issues or events within the purview of their position or agency. Participants responded to events in whatever way the felt appropriate.
• The exercise began with a briefing on the geopolitical context in which the scenario occurs. At the start of segments 2 and 3, summaries of relevant news coverage of the epidemic were shown.
• At five different times in the exercise, video news clips were shown which conveyed the breaking news stories occurring at that time in the scenario. The text of the news clips is not shown in this exercise script.
This script includes only information that was delivered to the participants. The comments and decisions made by participants during the exercise are not part of this exercise script. They will be summarized in separate reports.
INTRODUCTION TO EXERCISE GEOPOLITICAL CONTEXT BRIEFING
Randy Larsen, Deputy National Security Advisor Taiwan-China Tensions
• Angry rhetoric between Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China (PRC) has reached an all time high.
• One month ago, the PRC “tested” medium range missiles along a flight path that passed through Taiwan’s airspace.
• An outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease in Taiwan began about three weeks ago and is having a devastating impact on the local swine industry.
• Press reports have speculated that the current outbreak may have been deliberately introduced by the Chinese. China has denied these rumors.
• Taiwanese officials have compared this outbreak to the 1997 FMD epidemic that transformed Taiwan from an exporter to an importer of pork. As a result, China was able to capture the Pacific Rim pork market.
• Last month Russian authorities, with support from the FBI, arrested Yusuuf Abdul Aziiz, a known operative in Al-Qaida and a close personal friend and suspected senior lieutenant of Usama bin Laden. Yusuuf was caught in a sting operation that had been developing during the last year. He was attempting to acquire 50 kilograms of plutonium and was also attempting to arrange the purchase of several biological pathogens that had been weaponized by the Soviet Union.
Suspected BW Production – Iraq
• Six months ago, the US lifted sanctions against Iraq and ceased enforcement of the“no-fly zones”.
• Saddam has since pursued an aggressive effort to upgrade military forces and has imported equipment and materials that might be used to build chemical or biological weapons.
• The Al Daura vaccine plant, near Baghdad, closed by UN inspectors after the Gulf War, renewed full-scale production in 2001. The ostensible justification for this was the preparation of vaccines against Foot & Mouth disease.
• There are also reports that several top of scientists from the former Soviet bioweapons program began working in Iraq and Iran 1 yr ago.
Southwest Asia – 2 days ago
• 2 days ago, Iraqi forces in the South of Iraq moved into offensive positions along the Kuwaiti border.
• The Iraqi government denies any hostile intent and maintains that these troop movements are part of routine military exercises.
• Yesterday, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain requested deployment of US, British and French forces to Southwest Asia, to guard against possible attempts by Iraq to seize Kuwaiti oil fields.
• Russia and China oppose Allied deployment.
• The US has announced it is moving an aircraft carrier battle group to the Gulf.
US Domestic Conditions
• US Economy is in good shape
• Has been especially severe winter and heating oil prices, especially in the Northeast are high.
• Polls show slim majority of Americans oppose a major deployment onf US troops to the Persian Gulf
• Most Americans agree that Saddam’s Iraqi regime represents a real threat to stability in the region and to American interests.
• Key information on US Oil Imports being distributed.
(MEMO GIVEN TO ALL PARTICIPANTS: Oil Information)
“2001 statistics from the Energy Information Administration:
• US Crude Oil Imports are 8.46 million barrels per day. Of this, the US Imports about 26% of its crude oil from the Middle East, or 2.21 million barrels day. This is comprised of 1.72 million from Saudi Arabia, 0.25 million from Kuwait and 0.24 million from Iraq.
• Other Significant Oil Imports from non-Arab countries are as follows: Canada – 1.29 million, Mexico – 1.03 million, Venezuela – 1.234 million, Nigeria – .859 million
• US production of crude oil (as of 1999) was 5.93 million barrels per day. Assuming this number has been fairly consistent over the past two years, the US imports about 60% of its crude oil.
• The Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) currently has about 540 million barrels in its reserves located in Louisiana and Texas. (Not all of this is crude oil). According to the SPR, this would be sufficient to supplement US oil requirements for 54 days. Keep in mind that the maximum estimated speed for draw-down in an emergency is 4.3 million barrels a day.
• If all imports to the US were stopped during a crisis, the SPR could not keep up with daily US requirements due to draw-down limitations.”
SEGMENT 1—December 9, 2002 NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL MEETING
(MEMO GIVEN TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF HHS, FEMA DIRECTOR, 7:00 PM)
The Deputies Committee recommends focusing meeting and decision-making on following issues:
What policies and priorities should govern smallpox vaccine distribution?
Should plans for military deployment to SW Asia proceed?
What should we tell our allies about the source and scope of the outbreak, risk of spread abroad, implications for military coalition in the Gulf?
What should the American people be told?
(MEMO TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, CHAIR OF THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF)
Flexible Deterrent Options
Forces currently in theater: 25,000 including one carrier battle group
Option One: 5 Day closure
Limited capability to thwart an invasion of Kuwait by existing Iraqi forces currently positioned near border. Primarily a visible commitment. (Very high risk if Iraq invades)
Vigilant Warrior (Army Brigade w/ equipment prepositioned in Kuwait) 3000 active duty, 500 reserves including 300 medical
Air Expeditionary Wing (4 fighter squadrons) 1000 active duty
Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) package (U-2, JSTAR, EP-3, AWACS)
500 active duty
B-52 deployment to Diego Garcia 500 active duty
Option Two: 21 Day closure
Significant capability to prevent the Iraqi capture of Kuwait, or at a minimum, delay the success of an Iraqi invasion until additional forces can be deployed. (Medium risk if Iraq invades)
Air Expeditionary Force (12 fighter squadrons) Additional ISR Package
Additional carrier battle group
10,000 active duty
Marine Expeditionary Force (With MPF from Diego Garcia)
30,000 active duty Combat Support Hospital
Corps Support Command
Option Three: 14 Day closure but requires Presidential Select Reserve Call-up and Civil Reserve Air Fleet Stage I to meet this timeline
Strongest deterrent option. Demonstrates resolve. Same combat capability of option two.
Reduced closure time comes at the political cost of a Presidential Select Reserve Call-up and activation of the Civil Reserve Air Fleet Stage 1. Reduces capability to respond to a potential crisis in other theaters. (High risk globally, medium risk in SWA)
Air Expeditionary Force (20 fighter squadrons)
Additional ISR Package
Additional carrier battle group
Marine Expeditionary Force (With MPF from Diego Garcia) Combat Support Hospital
(MEMO TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, CHAIR OF THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF)
Flexible Deterrent Options:
Corps Support Command Offensive Force to Remove Iraq from Kuwait
400,000 personnel (100,000 reserve component)
NSA GERGEN’S REMARKS 7:00 PM
Before we begin this evening …
I think it is important you see what is currently on the local TV station in Oklahoma City. The White House Press Office just sent this over. I am sure this will soon be picked up by the major networks. This was taped from a live broadcast about 15 minutes ago.
VIDEO NEWS CLIP 1
PRESIDENT NUNN’S OPENING REMARKS
• ‼️👉The original agenda of this National Security Council (NSC) meeting was to focus on the developing crisis in Southwest Asia. 👉However, the Secretary of Health and Human Services called one hour ago to report that the 👉Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has confirmed that at least one case of smallpox – and maybe as many as 20 – have occurred among civilians in Oklahoma City. ‼️This is an extremely serious situation. Smallpox no longer exists in nature. Presumably, this disease has been deliberately introduced and 👉these cases are the result of a bioterrorist attack on the United States. We have received no notifications from other countries or groups claiming credit, and at present the FBI has no information regarding who might have mounted this attack or how they accomplished it. 👉A large proportion of the world population is now susceptible to smallpox. If this situation is not handled correctly we could be facing the beginning of a ‼️nation-wide or global epidemic. No doubt, the prospect of contracting this dreaded, lethal, highly contagious disease will cause great concern among US citizens and the world community. ‼️The outbreak may also have significant economic impacts. ‼️It is reasonable to assume that this attack is related to decisions we may make to deploy troops to the Mid-East; maybe it’s meant to distract US leadership or to intimidate the civilian population. 👉On the other hand, there may be no direct linkage to events in the gulf. The FBI and CIA are working on these matters, but we have few facts right now. 👉As it happens, Oklahoma’s Governor Keating is in town today and has joined us for this meeting, although he is understandably anxious to get home. We will first hear from Gov. Keating. Then we will have briefings on what we might expect in a smallpox outbreak, and more on what is happening on the ground in Oklahoma and elsewhere.
Finally, I would like to hear your thoughts on what our priorities and actions ought to be.
Frank Keating, Governor of Oklahoma
👉It appears my state has been attacked with a smallpox weapon. We are not sure yet how many people are affected. Media have been barraging our public affairs office for comment since CDC confirmed the diagnosis an hour ago. 👉We understand that the emergency rooms in Oklahoma City are extremely crowded – our state health department is having difficulty getting information directly from hospital management because many phone lines have gone down, apparently from overuse. The city is calm, although we have heard from CNN that many hospital staff have failed to show up for work since the first suspicions of smallpox were reported yesterday evening.
Local news media are broadcasting nothing but news and comments on the smallpox story. Hospitals in Oklahoma City have already activated their disaster plans to cope with the security issues raised by the increased patient demand on emergency rooms and the presence of so many journalists. I have been in close contact with the Oklahoma Adjutant General in the last few hours, who has been making preparations should the Oklahoma National Guard be needed during this situation.
👉MyCommissioner of Health advises me that at the minimum we need to begin rapid vaccination program of all persons that have come into contact with the identified smallpox patients as well as health care workers in Oklahoma City.
👉I understand CDC has released vaccine, but it’s unclear how much we’ll get. I would like to tell people when I go before the cameras in a few hours that each and every one of the 3.5 million citizens of Oklahoma will receive the smallpox vaccine in the next 72 hours. I think it’s important we reassure people that the government is going to take care of them.
👉Based on advice from the OK Commissioner of Health and The OK Adjutant General, I am declaring a State of Emergency and requesting that, you Mr. President, invoke the Stafford Act. The nature of the crisis will require it.
👉I have just declared a state of emergency to mobilize state response. The nature of this disease should be of immediate national concern. Therefore, I am requesting that you, Mr. President, declare a state of emergency in the State of Oklahoma.
Thomas Inglesby, Special Assistant to Secretary Hamburg
Smallpox: Historical Background
– Slide 1
• Last case on planet 1978
• Last case in US in 1949 (Texas)
• Officially stored only in 2 places–CDC & Russian Lab
• Prior to eradication – killed 300 million in 20th century
Photo – Smallpox Disease Progression
– Slide 2
Features of Disease
– Slide 3
• No symptoms at time of exposure
• 9 – 17 days later: fever, malaise, rash
• Rash: red spots become painful pustules
• No treatment for persons with disease
• At least 30% who get the disease would die
• Survivors have scars for life, may be blind
• Average incubation period is 2 weeks
• Mortality rate may be higher in children
Photo – Smallpox Cases – Slide 4
How Contagious is Smallpox? – Slide 5
• Person to person spread occurs
• Contagious from rash onset until scabs heal (2 weeks)
• Spread by droplets breathed or coughed into air
• Usually requires close contact (< 6ft.)
• Isolation and vaccination can prevent spread
• Close contacts are household and work contacts, health care workers.
• In exceptional circumstances can spread over long distances.
• Long distance spread usually occurs with cough
• Outbreak in Germany, 30 persons working or visiting in a hospital caught
smallpox from one hospitalized patient who never left his room
• Isolation of patients prevents transmission
• Vaccination of contacts can prevent them from developing disease
Health Care System Readiness – Slide 6
• U.S. doctors/nurses have no experience with smallpox
• No means of rapid diagnosis, no treatment available
• Hospitals have few isolation rooms designed for highly contagious patients
• No surge capacity in health care system – Just-in-time methods for staffing, drugs, supplies
• It is doubtful that hospitals could handle even 10% increase in patient demand over a sustained period.
• Concerns whether staff will come to work if at potential risk of getting lethal disease or bringing it home to their families
Photo – Smallpox victim – Slide 7
Smallpox Vaccine – Slide 8
• Protects people from dying –if given no more than 3 or 4 days after exposure
• Routine U.S. vaccination stopped in 1972
• Immunity wanes over time: estimated 80% U.S. population now susceptible
• 1/300,000 got serious, possibly fatal reactions to vaccine
• 👉‼️Vaccine protects if given before symptom onset
• 👉‼️No one younger than age 30 y/o vaccinated
• 👉‼️Maybe as many as 1/5000 today would have serious possibly lethal vaccine complication
Smallpox Vaccine Supply – Slide 9
• 👉U.S. stocks: 12M doses –Swiftwater, PA
• 👉World supply: 60M doses — no data, no sharing agreements
• ‼️CDC contract for 40M doses; 👉first deliveries — 2004
• 14 nations report having some supply of vaccine (SEC STATE will be getting that information
SITUATION BRIEFING [slides]
Dr. Tara O’Toole, Deputy Secretary of HHS, Chair of the Deputies
Status of Epidemic – Slide 1
• 20 smallpox cases, lab confirmed, Oklahoma City
• 30 additional cases suspected: 14 in OK; 9 in GA; 7 in PA
• 👉Source of infection unknown
• 👉Presumed exposure Dec 1st
Photo of First Case – Slide 2
We believe media has this photo
Photo of Arms of First Case – Slide 3
Status of Epidemic: Actions Taken – Slide 4
• CDC officials en route to OK, PA, and GA
• Lab specimens en route to CDC
• 👉100,000 doses of vaccine released, ETA=12 hours
• Vaccination restricted to close contacts, HCWs, investigators
• 👉100K doses to PA, GA pending lab confirmation
• 👉Doses released are preliminary shipments made with consensus of Sec Hamburg, CDC Director and OK Commissioner of Health.
• 👉Additional vaccine only to be released pending decisions reached at this meeting
1st Smallpox Case – Oklahoma City
Map of Cases in 3 states – Slide 5
Smallpox Cases Reported December 9
Potential Origin of Outbreak: Slide 6
• ‼️Accidental or intentional release of virus
• ‼️Only two labs in world permitted to have virus – CDC and ‼️ Vector in Russia
• Illicit diversion of virus plausible
• Once viral stocks in hand, no major technical problems to grow, disseminate virus
• Readily available off-the-shelf aerosol technologies used in Ag or Pharm applications believed most likely = best guess
Status of Epidemic: Actions Taken – Slide 7
• Outbreak investigation begun
• FBI, Public Health interviews with patients and contacts
• Information to stop disease spread, identify source of exposure
• Active medical surveillance to identify additional cases
• Alert, educate information to medical community& media
Map of Cases on Oklahoma Grid – Slide 8
Smallpox Cases – Oklahoma
– Confirmed Cases
– Unconfirmed Cases
Situation Briefing: Next Steps – Slide 9
• Victims: Isolate until rash heals, supportive care
• Contacts: Identify, vaccinate, fever watch: if fever, then presume smallpox and isloate
• Protection of healthcare workers
o Minimize exposure
o Strict respiratory precautions
o Isolation rooms
o Appropriate handling of infectious materials
• Equipment used to prevent TB –special masks, gloves, gowns, in short supply
• Isolation rooms to prevent airborne spread also in short supply
• If initial attack Dec 1; now seeing 1st generation
• 2nd generation to begin approx on December 20th
• Historically: single case infected 13 – 20 others
• Today: few immune; mobility of population; urban conditions — encourage spread “Mr. President, Deputies Committee working on vaccine distribution policy options –
should be available in 30-60 minutes. Recommend getting update from FBI at this time.”
Barbara Martinez Chief, WMD Operations Unit, FBI
• The FBI is the Lead Federal Agency to respond to the Crisis Management phase of bioterrorism or other forms of WMD Terrorism. Our primary role is to provide attribution for the crime, prosecution of the perpetrators. FEMA and HHS will lead consequence management efforts and have already initiated this response.
• The FBI’s Federal On-Scene Commander is on the ground in Oklahoma. We will have 200 FBI agents on the ground in Oklahoma within 24 hours. We are coordinating with CIA, NSA on possible perpetrators. We are pursuing investigation into the sources of the outbreak in cooperation with CDC and local public health agencies. We have no credible leads at this moment.
• The Domestic Emergency Support Team will be vaccinated within next few hrs and will be on the ground in Oklahoma and elsewhere as needed.
• We are also now establishing a Joint Operations Center in Oklahoma and will be coordinating information dissemination through a Joint Information Center.
MEMO GIVEN TO DCI, FBI DIRECTOR
Several States, Groups Could Have Capability to Build Smallpox Weapon
• Parties with capability to mount smallpox attacks include: Russia, Iraq, China, possibly N. Korea, Iran, though certainly other nations with industrial biotech base would have capability. Less likely are autonomous groups – specifically Bin Laden. We cannot rule out the possibility that the smallpox virus was transferred to unidentified groups or nations via criminal activities or illicit arms trade.
• For several years the intelligence community has attempted to track former Soviet scientists who played key roles in the Soviet BW program. Particular attention has been paid to those who worked in the smallpox weapons program. We know that several of these individuals are currently in Iran, Iraq, Israel, UK, US and possibly N Korea. The bottom line, however, is that any well-funded terrorist organization that had access to these one or more of these scientists and cultures of smallpox virus would have the capability to launch this attack.
Former Bioweapon Smallpox Expert said to be in Iraq
• Six months ago, a Russian biologist who had immigrated to Canada was interviewed by Canadian security officials as part of a government employment background check. During interview, the scientist mentioned that he had worked at Novosibirsk in 1990. His work was focused on mousepox, but he had become acquainted with several scientists that were involved with “serious, classified research” on smallpox.
• The scientist described the difficult times that followed the break-up of the Soviet Union and the impact on scientific cadre. He had eventually received permission to go to Israel and later moved to Canada. Some of his fellow scientists were not so lucky (especially those working on “classified” projects). However, one of the leading smallpox scientists that he knew had received an offer on employment from Iraq and the Russian government allowed him to accept the offer.
• Unrelated repeated rumors that Soviet smallpox cultures were received by Iraq, Iran, North Korea.
HUMINT and UNSCOM data indicate Iraq BW program worked with camelpox
Iraq known to have experimented with camelpox. Thought by some to have considered this a surrogate for smallpox investigations and smallpox weapons development.
MEMO TO SECRETARY OF STATE
Smallpox Vaccine stocks as of 1998 – Reports made by countries in response to World Health Organization Survey
• Best available estimates
• Listed below are mix of 1994 and 1998 data – believed to be current upper
limits for each of the countries since no new vaccine is being produced.
• Concerns exist regarding potency and safety of the vaccine from each country
produced, tested, stored outside US. Non-US vaccine may be ineffective, may
increase rate of side effects.
• No sharing agreements exist between US and other countries for smallpox vaccine
South Africa Brazil Canada
Iraq Belgium Denmark Finland France Germany Hungary Netherlands Sweden Switzerland U.K.
India Thailand Australia Cambodia China
30,000,000 0 (1994) 346,280
1,500,000 – believed not effective (faulty storage) 0
Did not report
• No reports available from former States of the Soviet Union, Poland, Czech Republic or Taiwan—of these, only Russia is likely to have any large supply.
PRC holding US Responsible
PRC has announced it is holding US responsible for the re-introduction of smallpox. It has raised the question of lab accident being responsible, given cases appearing in
Georgia. Blames US for its decision to continue working on smallpox virus despite near unanimous consent by world community to destroy remaining virus stores.
NSC MEETING DISCUSSION VACCINE DISTRIBUTION POLICY OPTIONS BRIEFING [slides]
Dr. Tara O’Toole, Chair of the Deputies Committee
Smallpox Vaccine – Background – Slide 1
• 12 M doses in U.S. stockpile
• Foreign supplies limited;
• Must give 3 – 5 days after exposure
• Exposure determined by history — no rapid, reliable tests
• Possible serious or lethal complications in 1/5000
Smallpox Vaccine – Decision Points – Slide 2
• National vs. state vaccination policy?
• Ring vaccination vs. mass immunizations?
• Hold 2.5 M doses for DOD? key officials?
• Vaccinate HCWs, public safety, elected officials? Their families?
• Distribute to states now vs. wait for cases?
• Size of aliquots to states?
• Mandatory vs. voluntary immunization?
• Now—Sec HHS/Surg Gen/Dir CDC can release vaccine to states. Should president retain this authority?
• Can Feds enforce priorities if it sets them. Immunization programs administered by local officials.
• HCWS, public safety, — arguably essential personnel with high risk of contact with victims.
• In TOPOFF exercise, vaccination of families was key issue
Vaccine Policy – Decision Points – Slide 3
• Ring Vaccination – close contacts, healthcare workers, investigators o Minimize use of vaccine
o Logistical, personnel hurdles
o Loose vs. tight definitions
• Mass Immunizations – Preferred if adequate supply o Logistically easier
o Shotgun approach—may hit target/ stop spread o Still must do contact tracing
• Ring vaccination used in the smallpox eradication program
• Ring vaccination: get it wrong—people die because you missed
• Mass immunization may reduce public anxiety—recent meningitis
outbreaks (1-3 persons sick) created great public anxiety
Populations of Affected Cities/States – Slide 4
Cities with Cases City population
Metro Area Population
States with Cases State population
OK City Atlanta Philadelphia
1.1M 416K 1.5M 1.1M 4.1M 6.1M
OK GA PA 3.5M 8.1M 12.3
Deputies Committee Recommendations on Disease Containment – Slide 5
• Contacts: vaccinate; stay home; fever watch; if fever move to treatment center
• Vaccination, isolation not forcibly imposed
• Minimize gatherings, close schools in affected states
Deputies Committee Recommendations on Public Communication – Slide 6
• Anticipate great public anxiety about disease and possible vaccine limitations
• Public confidence and engagement critical for ending disease transmission
• Maximize transparent decision-making
• About disease and possible vaccine limitations Vaccine Policy Distribution
Recommendations – Slide 7
Option 1: Directed Vaccination + DOD
• Vaccinate only contacts, key personnel (i.e. likely contacts) in case states
• Hold 2.5M doses for DOD
• Same directed strategy if more cases in new states
Option 1: Directed Vaccination + DOD – Slide 8
o Focuses immunization on those at highest risk o Preserves vaccine
o Seen as rational/equitable
o Preserves DoD strategic flexibility
o Logistically challenging
o May miss contacts
o Public anxiety — most not vaccinated o ? Public reaction to DoD hold
Option 2: Citywide + DOD + New States – Slide 9
• Residents of OK City, Atlanta, and Philadelphia
• Contacts and essential personnel who are not city residents
• 2.5M held for DOD
• 500K to additional states when cases identified
Option 2: Citywide + DOD + New States – Slide 10
o Creates immunity (firebreak) in affected cities o Less anxiety in affected cities
o May reduce risk of missed contacts
o Preserves DOD strategic flexibility
o Cannot continue policy for additional cities
o Mass immunizations challenge; must still track contacts o Lessen anxiety in affected cities; ?more elsewhere
o ? Public reaction to DoD hold
Option 3: Citywide + DOD + All States Now – Slide 11
• Residents of OK City, Atlanta, Phil.
• Contacts and essential personnel who are not residents
• 2.5M held for DOD
• 125K to all states now
Option 3: Citywide + DOD + All States Now – Slide 12
o Creates immunity (firebreaks) in affected cities
o Lessen anxiety in affected cities
o May reduce risk of missed contacts
o Preserves DOD strategic flexibility
o Even distribution across nation of remaining vaccine
o Allows rapid vaccination of new cases, key personnel in newly affected states
Option 3: Citywide + DOD + All States Now – Slide 13
o Cannot continue policy for additional cities o Logistically challenging
o Depletes vaccine stocks
o Cedes federal control of vaccine to states
o ? Public reaction to DOD hold
Vaccine Policy Options – Slide 14
#1. DIRECTED VACCINATION + DOD
#2. CITYWIDE + DOD + NEW STATES
#3. CITYWIDE + DOD + ALL STATES NOW
*Doses remaining do not include new contacts, new states
Vaccine Remaining 12M
8.9M* 6.1M* 1.4M*
MEMO GIVEN TO PRESIDENT AND NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR 9:30
• “White House and multiple government agencies, including HHS, DOD and the FBI are receiving a very high volume of inquiries regarding the alleged smallpox attack in Oklahoma. A majority of media sources are reporting that the disease is fatal in 30% of cases, is highly contagious, and there is no effective treatment. News organizations have also determined the US has a limited supply of vaccine available to the nation and are making inquiries as to vaccine distribution.
• The White House has in the past hour received requests from the primary news networks and newspapers for a statement from the President on the crisis.
• We have a 30 minute video clip you need to see urgently.
• Deputies Committee Recommends that the President address the nation no later than 10:00 p.m. EST. Deputies Committee Recommends President address following issues:
• Facts as available to government
• Federal roles and responsibilities
• State roles and responsibilities
• What the public should do
• Clarify American response to incident for benefit of international audience.”
VIDEO NEWSCLIP 3
White House Press Secretary delivers draft press statement to the President and NSC for consideration.
10P President, National Security Advisor, Secretary of HHS, and Director of CDC’s Bioterrorism Program move to press room to deliver statement
Press statement delivered in press room, broadcast to auditorium
SEGMENT 2—December 15, 2002 NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL MEETING
Randy Larsen, Deputy National Security Advisor reviews headlines: “It’s now December 15, 6 days after last night’s segment. We’re going to show footage from this morning’s NCN broadcast and quickly review the major media stories.
VIDEO NEWSCLIP 3
Review of News Summaries [Slides]
US Smallpox Cases Mount; Congress Demanding Retribution
• As many as 300 are now dead. Members of Congress from both parties, responding to increasing rage and fear among their constituents, are demanding swift action against perpetrators of the bioterrorist attack.
• Senior government officials report a number of leads. FBI is working closely with national security agencies and federal and state public health officials to solve the crime.
Hospitals Overwhelmed; Care Suffering
• As tens of thousands of ill or anxious persons seek care around country, hospitals in most highly affected states face desperate situations. Doctors, nurses are scared and exhausted. Many hospital employees are not showing up for work for fear of contagion. Employees who do report for work must struggle to get through the crowds.
• Most hospitals report grossly inadequate supplies and insufficient isolation rooms to care for patients with smallpox.
Some hospitals in Pennsylvania reportedly face imminent bankruptcy and possible closure as the need to care fro floods of anxious patients interrupts normal revenue streams.
Mothers Plead for Vaccine as Supply Dwindles
• As the smallpox death toll continues to rise, pictures of children sick and dying from smallpox have been widely televised on local and national news around the nation. Television footage of a tearful mother holding her toddler, pleading for vaccine and being pushed back by police in riot gear is being aired repeatedly.
Violence Breaks Out at PA Vaccination Sites
• Vaccination distribution efforts are chaotic and have caused violence in some areas. With vaccine in short supply, increasingly anxious crowds mob vaccination clinics. Riots around a vaccination site in Philadelphia left two dead. At another vaccination site, angry citizens overwhelmed vaccinators.Police and the National Guard was called in to suppress violence.
Borders Closed to US Trade, Travelers
• Many countries have closed their borders to persons traveling from the US unless they can show proof of recent smallpox vaccination.
The possible economic impact
of lost international trade may reach billions of dollars.
• Canada and Mexico are requesting that the US share the smallpox vaccine stockpile.
Government Response Criticized
• Criticism of the federal government’s failure to have sufficient smallpox vaccine on hand to immunize the entire
US population has been pervasive, bipartisan and vociferous. The single pharmaceutical company capable of producing smallpox vaccine has reported that at most it can produce 4 million doses per month, even if all FDAregulations are waived.
Governor Considers Closing Stores to Halt Disease Spread; Merchants Anxious about Holiday Sales
• Four days ago, using his emergency powers, Governor Keating closed all schools,
colleges, and universities and cancelled sporting events and other public gatherings.
• The Governor’s office is reportedly now weighing a decision to close stores.
Merchants throughout the state have petitioned the Governor’s office to keep shops open, citing the importance of holiday season for business. Already shoppers are sparse, with many avoiding places where there are crowds. Malls across the country are nearly deserted.
Food Shortages in Some Cities; Many Restaurants Close
• Due to slow downs in transportation and reluctance of drivers to make deliveries to areas with smallpox cases, some cities are beginning to experience shortages of milk, bread and other staples. Panic buying has begun to occur in parts of Philadelphia.
DOD Reluctant to Release Assets for Civilian Use
• Pentagon spokesman cites readinessrequirements as explanation for the
Defense Department’s reluctance to augment civilian health care system with supplies and personnel.
As potential for conflict grows in Mideast, defense experts contend that the military must maintain all strategic options.
National Guard Invaluable in Crisis; Special Teams of Little Use
• The National Guard has performedcritical services in all states affected by the smallpox crisis.From establishing communication links between hospitals and public health agencies, to delivering vaccines, to providing security at emergency rooms overrun by anxious patients, the Guard has played many vital roles. But the specially trained teams designed to respond to chem. and bio attacks have found little call for their expertise.
MEMO DELIVERED TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, CHAIR OF JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF,
DCI Status Of Military Situation in SW Asia
MEMO DELIVERED TO ATTORNEY GENERAL
Emergency Legal Authorities
Federal Role in Disaster Relief:
The Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. § 5121 et seq., called the “Stafford Act”)
• If the State requests Federal assistance, the President may declare a national
emergency for mobilization of Federal resources in support of State efforts.
• Aid (e.g., vaccines) may not be distributed in a discriminatory manner.
Use of Federal Troops for Law Enforcement Purposes:
The Posse Comitatus Act (18 U.S.C. § 1385)
• Army and Air Forcemay not be used for law enforcement. DOD policy extends the prohibition to Navy and Marines.
• National Guard in State-status are not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act. (Act (18 U.S.C. § 1385)
• Federal troops (incl. Federalized National Guard) may be used for law enforcement if the President invokes the Insurrection Act to quell civil disturbances.
• Other exception includes preventing the loss of life or property during serious disturbances or calamities, and protecting Federal property and governmental functions.
Reserve Mobilization: (10 U.S.C. § 12304(b))
• The President may order reserve units to active duty in response to a WMD incident.
• ‼️Judicial decisions indicate that forcible inoculation and quarantine of infected patients may be constitutional.
• ‼️SecHHS has the authority to issue regulations that authorize Federal agencies to respond to the spread of a communicable disease across State lines, likely including:
‼️👉quarantine of patients,
‼️👉forcible blood draws and
‼️👉disposal of bodies in ways contrary to personal beliefs, and related restrictions on liberty.
• 👉SecHHShas not promulgated any regulations under this authority.
• ‼️DirCDCmay take measures, likely including the list set forth above, to prevent the spread of a communicable disease upon determining that a State is not acting sufficiently to prevent the spread of that disease(42 C.F.R. § 70.2).
• A person who has a communicabledisease “in the communicable period”shall not travel from one State or possession to another without a permit from the health officer of the State if such a permit is required under the law of the destination State (42 C.F.R. § 70.3).
Quelling Civil Disturbances: The Insurrection Act (10 U.S.C. § 331 et seq.)
• ‼️State and local governments have primary responsibility for quelling rebellions (32C.F.R. § 215.4(a).
• ‼️The President may use the military‼️ (including the Federalized National Guard) to quell
👉 (1) civil disturbances in a State (upon the Governor’s request),
👉 (2) rebellions that make it difficult to enforce Federal law, or 👉(3) any insurrection that impedes a State’s ability to protect citizens’ constitutional rights and that State is unable to unwilling to protect these rights.
• ‼️Before committing U.S. troops, the President must issue a proclamation for rebellious citizens to disperse, cease, and desist.
• Some government attorneys believe that the Insurrection Act is subject to a very liberal interpretation.
• The Constitution charges the President to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed” and the Congress to “call[ ] forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union.”
• 32 C.F.R. § 501.4:
‼️“Martial law depends for its justification upon public necessity. Necessity gives rise to its creation; necessity justifies its exercise; and necessity limits its duration. The extent of the military force used and the actual measures taken, consequently, will depend upon the actual threat to order and public safety which exists at the time.”
👉The President normally announces his decision by a proclamation, which should detail the substance of the martial rule.
• There are judicial decisions and scholarly articles indicating that the President has some metaConstitutional authority to act in times of national emergency.
• The preconditions for martial rule are unclear, but it is likely that the preconditions for imposing martial rule are satisfied if a crisis threatens to undermine the stability of the U.S. Government.
• The parameters for martial rule are unclear, such as whether martial rule could be imposed over entire swaths of the U.S. or whether martial rule must be confined only to areas in which the crisis is occurring.
• Options for martial rule include, but are not limited to, 👉prohibition of free assembly,
👉national travel ban,
👉quarantine of certain areas,
👉suspension of the writ of habeas corpus [ie, arrest without due process], 👉and/or military trials in the event that the court system becomes dysfunctional.
MEMO GIVEN TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF HHS, FEMA DIRECTOR
(Segment 2 Decisions)
The Deputies Committee recommends focusing meeting and decision-making on following issues:
• Given vaccine shortage, how can spread of smallpox be contained?
• How can we best balance disease containment, economic disruption, and
protection of civil liberties?
• Should National Guard troops be federalized?
• Should overseas deployment continue?
• What federal actions should be taken in order to care for the sick?
• What additional assistance can the Federal government provide to states?
• What should American people be told?
(MEMO TO ATTORNEY GENERAL, FBI DIRECTOR)
WMD Unit Assessment
There is a very high probability this attack was conducted by either a state or a state- sponsored international terrorist organization. The probability that a domestic terrorist organization or individual, acting without state sponsorship, conducted this attack is virtually zero. There is a high probability that former Soviet scientists were involved in the development of this weapon.
The individuals who launched this attack likely departed the US more than a week ago, however, there is no way at this time to determine if additional attacks were made in other states. Theonly indications we will have of such attacks will occur 9-14 days following such an attack is when the first clinical symptoms appear.
While plague, anthrax or ricin weapons could be developed and delivered by well-funded and technically sophisticated domestic terrorist organizations, the acquisition, production and delivery of a smallpox weapons would pose far too many challenges for any known or suspected domestic organizations.
The plague bacteria can be found in many rats above the 5000-foot level in Colorado.
Anthrax is endemic in many parts of the world.
Both can be readily acquired in laboratories and universities both here and abroad.
Most undergraduate chemistry students could extract ricin from caster beans.
However, an initial sample of the smallpox virus probably came from the Soviet Union, or perhaps a country such as North Korea where we know that as recently as two years ago Special Forces soldiers were still receiving smallpox vaccines.
The production and weaponization of this sample would far exceed the technical capabilities of any known or suspected domestic, or for that fact, international terrorist organizations. This is most likely either a state sponsored international terrorist attack or an act of war.
Delivered immediately following Video Clip and Review of News Summaries
Good morning. I am sorry to announce that the Secretary of State is ill. He has been hospitalized at Bethesda Naval Hospital. I know all of our prayers are with him. All persons at this meeting should have been vaccinated by now. We have with us
To review the major events of the last 5 days:
As far as we can determine, there is no evidence of additional bioterrorist
attacks beyond what were apparently the 3 attacks in OK, GA, and PA on or around December 1.
FBI and CIA are vigorously pursuing all leads, but so far there is no forensic evidence or clear smoking gun that identifies the perpetrators of these crimes. We will shortly hear about details of the nation’s response to the epidemic from Dr. O’Toole and from FEMA Director Hauer. Our vaccination strategy has proceeded relatively smoothly in OK – my compliments to Governor Keating and thank you for being with us today.
Unfortunately, the lack of vaccine and efforts in various states to stop the spread of smallpox have lead to some serious economic disruptions and, in some areas, civil unrest. More on this in a moment.
Lastly, as to events in the Gulf, Iraq has not moved troops away from the Kuwaiti border, despite our warnings. The good news is they haven’t advanced, either.
I understand there are serious questions about our ability to both proceed with military action in SWA, and provide DOD assets in support of our response to the smallpox crisis here at home.
We will hear an update on the epidemic from Dr. O’Toole and then quickly turn to some key issues and decisions. As you know, I have scheduled a press conference for 2 hours from now.
o o o
Deputy Secretary of State Mr. Bud St. Germain.
Dr. Tara O’Toole, Chair of the Deputies Committee
Status of Epidemic – Slide 1
• 2000 cases in 15 states
• Isolated cases in Canada, Mexico, and United Kingdom
• 300 dead as of today
• All cases appear due to 3 initial attacks in OK, GA, PA
• No forensic evidence; PH investigation points to 3 shopping malls at sites of
exposure smallpox cases 0
Line Graph of Cases – Slide 3
Cases per Day
MAP of Cases – Slide 2
Cumulative Reported Smallpox Cases December 15 – Total = 2000
1,500 & over
3 25 3550 5
Smallpox Cases December 9 – December 15
# of Cases
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Summary of Vaccine Distribution – Slide 4
• Dec 9-10: contacts, essential personnel, DOD only
• DOD: 250K for SW Asia deployment; 1M for frontline warfighters and support;
500K for NG
• Rapid identification/vaccination of contacts difficult; expanding definition of
• Dec 11: as cases rise, growing political pressure to vaccinate more broadly: 1M
doses each for OK, GA, PA
• Dec 11 –14: 500K to each of 12 affected states
Vaccine Remaining: 1.25M doses
Situation Briefing: Status of Epidemic – Slide 5
• Medical care system overwhelmed in states with smallpox – staff shortages; fearing smallpox many seek care
• Insufficient hospital isolation rooms – concerns that non-smallpox patients will be infected
• As vaccine dwindles & cases rise, growing public outcry for forcible transfer to isolated facilities
• Contacts not complying with voluntary home isolation and fever watch
• Too many contacts to monitor for signs of disease
Situation Briefing: Status of Epidemic – Slide 6
• Dangerous misinformation in some media:
o Reports of good vaccine/bad vaccine; government saving good vaccine for
o Advice to flee cities /hide in remote areas
o Smallpox ‘cures’ offered on internet
o Hate speech targeting certain ethnic groups
o Claims that poor neighborhoods in affected states denied vaccine
Public Health Actions Taken – Slide 7
• 👉Schools closed nationwide; 👉public gatherings limited in affected states
reopened; 👉transport slow-down causing local shortages
• 👉National Information Center established by HHS; 👉frequent media/internet updates on epidemic;
👉information on how public can prevent transmission & who should get vaccinated
• HHS establishing secure Internet site for med/pub health community
• 3 US drug manufacturers agree to make vaccine – 6 million doses/month in 5 weeks
International Public Health Actions Taken – Slide 8
• All countries with vaccine contacted, only UK willing to donate vaccine –
👉500,000 doses to be delivered
• Netherlands, Denmark, Germany have agreed to begin vaccine manufacture, first delivery at least 3 months – US access to vaccine under discussion
• Russia offering to provide4 million doses of vaccine
• Collaborating with EU, UN on international vaccination documentation for purposes of ensuring continued trade/travel
• UN Security Council,WHO and World Medical Association condemned use ofbioweapon in US
Mr. President, Deputies Committee will have Disease Containment Options available to you in 1 hour.
Delivered by Jerry Hauer, FEMA Director after O’Toole Situation Brief
Healthcare System Struggling Under Stress
• In a number of states, The National Guard is being used to support the struggling health care system. Guardsmen are delivering food and critical supplies and maintaining security at hospitals, but there are insufficient numbers to do all that is required.
• FEMA has been receiving disturbingreports from many parts of the country 👉that medical care for non-smallpox related illnessesis being significantly disrupted by the epidemic.
• 👉Citing growing shortages of medical supplies and increasingly dangerous conditions for patients. In the last few hours 3 States have requested HHS seek human and material resourcesvia the Joint Task Force for Civil Support of the Joint Forces Command.
• Red Cross Volunteers have been setting up shelters with cots in some areas where health care facilities have become non-functional, though numbers of volunteers are fewer than have been available during recent disasters. Fear of contagion is presumably keeping people away.
• Efforts to isolate smallpox patients and stop person- to -person spread have varied from state to state.
👉Many states have closed schools, prohibited public meetings.
👉Some states have closedtransportation links, including airports.
• 👉OK and GA are attempting to keep smallpox patients and contacts in their homes; 👉getting food and appropriate medical care to all affected is proving difficult.
• 👉In Oklahoma, the worst affected state, 👉most of the 138 hospitals are 👉experiencing never before seen numbers of patient visits.
👉20 hospitals have closed doors,citing dangers to their staff and patients,though it’s unclear if these closures were legal.
👉Hospitals in all states—even those without smallpox cases—are seeing unusually large numbers of patients and are desperately short staffed, in spite of extended shifts and calls for retired professionals to volunteer to care for the sick.
👉Exhaustion from long hours and stress is a serious problem.
Update on Implementation of Federal
•👉 The National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) has turned out to be less effective than we had hoped.
👉The federal response plancalled for hospitals in unaffected areas to accept patients from overloaded regions in crisis.
👉• In practice,we don’t want to be transporting contagious smallpox victims around the country.
👉Almost all medical facilities affected by smallpox immediately initiated their emergency response plans and discharged everyone who could possibly go home.
👉The non-smallpox patients who were left hospitalized are too sick to move.
• 👉Finally, most US hospitals don’t have the staff to care for extra patients even in normal times.
👉Now, with so manyhospital workers afraid to come to work, staff shortages are even worse making it impossible for NDMS hospitals to accept additional patients.
• 👉In Georgia, efforts by governor to transfer all smallpox patients to a single, designated “smallpox hospital”were abandoned after strenuous legal resistance by the hospitals involved. 👉Small-scale violence has occurred outside a number of hospitals in GAand PA.
👉The Police and National Guard had to be called in to maintain order in some locations around smallpox vaccine distribution sites in both states.
👉• Disaster Medical Assistance Teams (DMATs) are the 30-person volunteer units in the NDMS that are meant to provide supportive medical are in disasters. DMATs have only provided modest medical support to some cities in the last six days – some volunteers have concerns about their own health and safety, some are needed in their own states. It is estimated only 2,000 of the 7,000 personnel who comprise the DMATs are on the ground helping with medical care in affected states across the nation. For comparison, it requires many thousands of persons to keep a single large university hospital functioning routinely.
DEPUTIES RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DISEASE CONTAINMENT
Dr. Tara O’Toole, Chair of Deputies Committee
Disease Containment Options:
Considerations – Slide 9
• 👉Restrict smallpox patients to dedicated facilities? – voluntary vs. mandatory
• 👉Assemble contacts of patients in designated sites? – voluntary vs. mandatory
• 👉Establish national travel policies? – voluntary vs. mandatory
• 👉Mandatory isolation of all smallpox victims in hospitals or preferably dedicated facilities
• 👉DOD assets to assist in provisions and staff for dedicated smallpox treatment centers
• 👉Encourage voluntary home isolation of contacts using NG and DOD assets to supply food/track fevers, etc. (mandatory grouping of infected and non-infected
contacts too dangerous)
• 👉Penalties for promulgating dangerous information
• 👉Establish federal travel restrictions
• 👉Economic impacts
• 👉Cancel all public gatherings in affected stated, non-essential meetings of >50 people elsewhere
(MEMO GIVEN TO DCI)
Possible Quarantine Area near Samarra, Iraq
(MEMO GIVEN TO DCI)
Chinese Involvement with Smallpox
👉• PRC Cabinet officials and high ranking members of the PLA conducted what appears to be an unscheduled meeting on Dec 12th.
👉President Jiang Zemin is believed to have attended.
👉Sources with partial access to the meeting indicate the American outbreak was discussed in great detail.
👉Outbreak appears NOT to have originated from the Chinese government.
• 👉Shortly following the Dec 12th meeting, SIGINT and IMINT suggest Chinese forces within the Nanjing military region are preparing to stand down current military exercises. Warships in South China Sea returning to port.
(MEMO DELIVERED TO DCI)
Expanded Iraqi Exclusionary Zone
Image Intelligence (Iraq)
• ‼️Wide area satellite imagery taken of a suspected bioresearch facility outside of Samarra, Iraq reveals what appears to be an expanded“exclusionary zone” around the facility.
👉Security checkpoints now exist (in a 10 mile radius) on all approaches to the zone.
👉It appears that all civilian activity within the zone has ceased.
👉Several small villages show no signs of human, animal or vehicular activity. 👉👉Activity in and around the biofacility appears normal.
• 👉Previous imagery from several weeks earlier had shown security checkpoints in the near vicinity of the facility and normal activity in the now deserted villages.
(MEMO DELIVERED TO ATTORNEY GENERAL)
Civil Liberty Abuse
• The Department of Justice is receivingnumerous credible allegations that persons with symptoms “suspicious for smallpox”have been illegally arrested or detained in
designated “isolation wards.”
👉There are widespread reports that the poor and people of color are more likely to be “isolated” than others.
• 👉Not all persons placed in these isolation wardshave been vaccinated, thus possibly exposing uninfected individuals to smallpox.
• 👉The ACLU has just sued PA over its decision to initiate mandatory vaccination of patient contacts and the imposition of travel restrictions.
• 👉Reports of beatings and harassment of persons of dark skin and of Arab Americans
are increasing in numbers and violence. 👉One hour ago, three teenaged youths of dark complexion were shot dead in downtown Chicago. The perpetrators and motive are unknown, but it is believed that the victims were killed because they appeared to be of mideastern descent. Two mosqueshave been defacedin past 24 hrs; one suffered serious fire damage.
• 👉In some locales, efforts by FEMA and other federal and local agencies to contain the crisis are interfering with FBI efforts to establish the cause and identify the perpetrators.
👉Relations between the FBI On-Scene Commanders and FEMA officialshave deteriorated in several areas of the country.
VIDEO NEWSCLIP 4
STATEMENT BY GOVERNOR OF TEXAS
Read by NSA to the NSC Meeting
“The Governor of Texas, Rick Parsons, has just delivered the following statement by radio:
My fellow Texans,
• The threat of the smallpox virus in Oklahoma represents a clear and present danger to Texas. As a result, I have used my ‼️Emergency Powers to order Texas National Guard personnel to ‼️assist the State Police in suspending all surface and air transportation between Texas and Oklahoma.
‼️No individuals may enter Texas from Oklahoma without proof of a recent smallpox vaccination.
‼️All air traffic originating or passing through the state of Oklahoma will similarly be stopped and turned back.
• ‼️I have not taken this action lightly. I deeply sympathize with the people of Oklahoma and with those Texans whose loved ones are living there. Nonetheless, the urgency of the current crisis demands action.
👉As the Federal government has to date proven unable or unwilling to prevent the spread of the smallpox virus, I am left with no alternative.
• 👉While I cannot speak for other governors, I would encourage my colleagues in the states of New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas, to take similar action.
👉Only by containing the disease at its current locations, can we hope to limit the spread of the deadly smallpox virus.
END NSC DISCUSSION
President and his designees move to Press Room
PRESIDENTIAL PRESS CONFERENCE
• The prayers of my wife Anita and I go with all the victims of this terrible attack and those unable to return home. God speed.
– Rick Parsons, 47th Governor of Texas”
SEGMENT 3—December 22, 2002 NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL MEETING
VIDEO CLIP 5
Review of News Summaries by Randy Larsen, Deputy National Security Advisor
Smallpox Cases Skyrocket;
‼️2nd Attack Possible as Toll Climbs Above 15,000
• 👉In last 2 days, thousands of new smallpox cases have been reported throughout the US.
👉There are now cases reported in 25 states.
👉CDC reports that the timing of the appearance of cases, as well as the initial epidemiologic investigation suggests new smallpox cases are the result of contacts with initial attack victims in early December.
👉However, the evidence available does not rule out second or ongoing attacks.
Smallpox Shatters Image of US as Superpower
• 👉‼️The growing smallpox crisis is causing grave economic damage to US businesses and many international investors.
👉‼️Measures needed to contain the epidemic may grown increasingly harsh in the face of vaccine depletion and rising numbers of victims.
👉‼️Americans can no longer take basic civil liberties such as freedom of assembly or travel for granted.
States Shutdown as Pox Cases Climb
• 👉GA and PA were in chaos yesterday as news of a resurgence of smallpox cases swept the country
👉Massive traffic jams were caused by millions seeking to outrun infection.
👉Most businesses in Atlanta and Philadelphia were closed, as were many banks and post offices.
👉Mayor Fears Public Health Warnings Ignored
👉The mayor of Philadelphia went on TV to plead with city residentsto heed public health advisories today as angry citizens denounced the government’s failure to stop the smallpox epidemic.
👉A new New York Times poll of votersindicated that a majority of Americans think that the state and federal governments have lost control.
👉Public Opinion Divided on Nuclear Response to Bioattack
👉An overnight CNN/gallup poll states that slightly less that half (48%, poll’s margin for error +/- 5%) of Americans believe that President should consider using nuclear weapons against any nation proven to be responsible for attacking the US with smallpox.
With No Vaccine Left, Use of Deadly Force Rising
👉The earlier violence along the Texas-Oklahoma border appears to have subsided.
👉Oklahoma State Police and Texas Department of Public Safety Officers along with the Texas and OklahomaNational Guard have reported only widely scattered incidentsin the past several days. No additional deaths have been reported in the past five days.
👉‼️In Houston, Chicago, and LA yesterday, fear of smallpox had deadly ramifications as individuals used violence to keep others at a distance.
👉‼️In NYC, one family used a cache of guns to keep police at bay for hoursfollowing their attempt to escort two family members with suspect smallpox to isolation areas. At the end of the standoff, three family members and two police officers were dead.
(MEMO DELIVERED TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, CHAIR OF JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF, DCI Status Of Military Situation in SW Asia)
(MEMO GIVEN TO PRESIDENT, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR, SECRETARY OF HHS, FEMA DIRECTOR)
The Deputies Committee recommends focusing meeting discussion and decision-making on the following issues during this segment:
• What are proper priorities of federal government at this point?
• Given the increase in smallpox cases and lack of vaccine, what is the federal
government willing and able to do to contain the epidemic?
• How should DoD assets be distributed given the situation at home and overseas?
• What level of certainty is needed to assign attribution for the smallpox attack? What, if any, retribution is appropriate?
I am relieved that I can announce that the Sec State has passed the danger pointand appears to be slowly recovering. Other than that, the situation is clearly far more grave.
•👉‼️We now believe that by using various private US pharmaceutical facilities we can be manufacturing about 12 million doses of smallpox vaccine per month.
👉‼️First dose will still not be available for 5 weeks.
👉‼️We must keep in mind that this will be an unlicensed vaccine that will not have been tested in humans
👉Obviously there is now understandable concern and fear about the recent sharp rise in smallpox cases.
👉We are all very grateful for Governor Keating’s leadership during this crisis.In spite of suffering the largest number of victims of any state, Oklahoma has reacted with remarkable calm and fortitude. I’m pleased you could be with us again today and value your counsel as we go forward in making some difficult decisions.
👉The problems confronting us include questions about the best use of federal resources in managing the smallpox crisis as well as decisions dealing with the situation in the Gulf.
We will begin with a series of briefings and must then quickly turn to key issues and decisions. As you know, I have schedule a press conference for 2 hrs from now.
• Dr.O’Toole has an update on the epidemic.
Dr. Tara O’Toole,Chair of the Deputies Committee
Status of the Epidemic – Slide 1
• Past 48 hrs: 14,000 new cases in 25 states reported to CDC
• 1,000 dead; 200 from vaccination
• Estimated 5,000 more deaths over 2 weeks
• Overseas cases (10 countries) likely due to travel from US
• 16,000 cases = 14,000 cases last 24 hrs + first generation
Map of Cases – Slide 2
Cumulative Reported Smallpox Cases
December 22 – Total = 16,000
1,500 & over
smallpox cases 0
39 24 395
11,060 198 179
39 15 39 198
18 213 1,975
Line Graph of Cases – Slide 3
Cumulative Reported Smallpox Cases December 22 –
Total = 16,000
Cases per Day
9 10111213141516171819202122 December
We believe new cases represent contacts of victims of original release of smallpox. Cannot rule out additional attacks
Situation Briefing: New Smallpox Cases – Slide 4
• ? unidentified contacts of initial victims
• ? contacts not vaccinated in time
• ? vaccination ineffective
Timing, pattern of cases suggests no new attack
👉Majority of new cases evaluated thus far appear to have high probability of
exposure to original smallpox victims;
👉CDC, health agencies, 👉FBI working feverishly to interview victims, 👉ID contacts
Situation Briefing: Status of Epidemic – Slide 5
👉Vaccine depleted – including supply from UK, Russia
👉12 million doses/month U.S. vaccine – ready in 4 weeks
👉Restrictions of Nonessential travel in place; shortages of many foods/huge impacton national economy
👉Flight from citied with announcement of new cases# of Cases
👉Canada/Mexico have closed borders to U.S.; tight restrictions on entry to U.S.
👉Growing demand for mandatory grouping/isolation of all contacts of smallpox patients
👉Contact tracing effectively impossible, especially in cities (100 contacts/case = 1.6M contacts)
Historical Precedence – Slide 6
• Introduction of smallpox into susceptible populations
• 16th Century Spaniards carry smallpox to New World
• No previous history of smallpox in Western Hemisphere
• One half of 25M Aztec population died of smallpox
Situation Briefing: Projection of Smallpox Cases, Deaths – Slide 7
3500000 3000000 2500000 2000000 1500000 1000000
End of Gen 4 Feb 6th
Projected Smallpox Cases
End of Gen 1 Dec 17th
End of Gen 2 Jan 3rd
End of Gen 3 Jan 20th
– Total Smallpox Cases
– Total Deaths from Smallpox
👉We project we will see a total of approximately 30,000 cases of smallpox emerging over the next 6 days.
👉Within 23 days, we could see as many as 300,000 victims as the 3rd generation of cases becomes apparent. We will still have no new smallpox vaccine at this point.
👉These numbers are highly speculative
(MEMO TO SECRETARY OF STATE)
• • •
👉Russia, France, Germany, Nigeria and other countries are demanding that the US release vaccine to help fight spread of smallpox overseas.
👉Russian asking UN Security Council to declare US has moral obligation to share any vaccine it produces with the rest of the world.
👉Cuba has offered to sell smallpox vaccine to US.Cuba’s biotech sector, which we know to be quite advanced, claims it can quickly produce high quality vaccine using state-of-the art techniques.
(MEMO TO DCI, FBI DIRECTOR)
Iraqi Defector Claims Iraq behind Attack
👉Prominent Iraqi defector is claiming that Iraq arranged the bioweapons attacks on the US through intermediaries.
👉This information is now deemed highly credible.
👉There is no forensic evidence to support this claim however.
👉Iraq has denied any involvement; however Iraq’s Deputy Minister has vowed to retaliate in ‘highly damaging ways’ if US takes action against Iraq.
MESSAGE DELIVERED TO MEETING. PRINTED COPY GIVEN TO ALL)
30 minutes prior to conclusion of segment
👉The NY Times, Washington Post, and USA Todayreceive anonymous letters ‼️demanding the immediate removal (one week) of all US forces from Saudi Arabia and all war ships from the Persian Gulf.
👉‼️Failure to comply will result in renewed attacks on US, which will include anthrax, plague and small pox.
👉Each letter also contained a genetic fingerprint of the smallpox strain matching the fingerprint of the strain causing the current epidemic.
The Senate unanimously passed legislation requiring the government to unveil what intelligence has been collected regarding the origin of the VOCID-19 virus, according toThe Western Journal.
“I think it’s time that the American people got to decide for themselves,” Republican Sen. Josh Hawley stated.
“It’s time that they actually got to see the evidence that the United States government has collected on this issue.”
The bill was written up to make public “any and all information relating to potential links between the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the origin of the coronavirus disease.”
“The American people deserve to know about the origins of the COVID-19.”
“They deserve to know how this terrible pandemic that has ravaged the globe and our country, how it got started and what’s China’s role in starting it,” Hawley stated.
Republican Sen. Mike Braun said, “It needs to be revealed to anyone that can look at it to make sense out of what has happened.”
“The U.S. government has reason to believe that several researchers inside the WIV became sick in autumn 2019, before the first identified case of the outbreak, with symptoms consistent with both COVID-19 and common seasonal illnesses.”
“This raises questions about the credibility of WIV senior researcher Shi Zhengli’s public claim that there was ‘zero infection’ among the WIV’s staff and students of SARS-CoV-2 or SARS-related viruses.”
“The CCP has prevented independent journalists, investigators, and global health authorities from interviewing researchers at the WIV, including those who were ill in the fall of 2019.”
“Any credible inquiry into the origin of the virus must include interviews with these researchers and a full accounting of their previously unreported illness.”
“As part of that report, I have asked for areas of further inquiry that may be required, including specific questions for China,” the president said in a statement.
“I have also asked that this effort include work by our National Labs and other agencies of our government to augment the Intelligence Community’s efforts. And I have asked the Intelligence Community to keep Congress fully apprised of its work.”
Germany officially calls colonial-era killings in Namibia ‘genocide’
Some 75,000 tribespeople were killed after a revolt against land seizures in what historians have called the first genocide of the 20th century.
Herero tribesmen are held in chains around 1904 or 1905. Namibia spent decades under German rule after World War I, gaining independence in 1990.Ullstein Bild / via Getty ImagesMay 28, 2021, 5:44 AM CDT / Source: ReutersBy Reuters
BERLIN — Germany on Friday apologized for its role in slaughter of Herero and Nama tribespeople in Namibia more than a century ago and officially described the massacre as genocide for the first time, as it agreed to fund projects worth over a billion euros.
German soldiers killed some 65,000 Herero and 10,000 Nama members in a 1904-1908 campaign after a revolt against land seizures by colonists in what historians and the United Nations have long called the first genocide of the 20th century.
While Germany has previously acknowledged “moral responsibility” for the killings, it has avoided making an official apology for the massacres to avoid compensation claims.
In a statement announcing an agreement with Namibia following more than five years of negotiations, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said the events of the German colonial period should be named “without sparing or glossing over them.”
“We will now also officially call these events what they were from today’s perspective: a genocide,” Maas said.
“In light of Germany’s historical and moral responsibility, we will ask Namibia and the descendants of the victims for forgiveness,” he said.
Germany has agreed to fund 1.1 billion euros of reconstruction and development projects that would directly benefit the genocide-affected communities, he said.
Namibian media reported on Thursday that the money would fund infrastructure, healthcare and training programs over 30 years.
Germany, which lost all its colonial territories after World War One, was the third biggest colonial power after Britain and France. However, its colonial past was ignored for decades while historians and politicians focused more on the legacy of Nazi crimes, including the Holocaust.
In 2015, it began formal negotiations with Namibia over the issue and in 2018 it returned skulls and other remains of massacred tribespeople that were used in the colonial-era experiments to assert claims of European racial superiority.